What's new

Who feels bad for Lindsey Jacobellis? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I heard about what happened on NPR earlier in the evening but still had to see it for myself. Initially I was thinking how stupid she was, but once I saw it for my own eyes I couldn't help feeling bad for her. Of course her not admitting to throwing in the method flair doesn't help her.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Winning a silver medal isn't such a terrible fate, and it's not as if someone else caused her to fall. She's lucky that all of the other racers didn't pass her after she fell

Steve Deacon

Stunt Coordinator
It was a snowboarding race with 4 competitors starting. 2 had already crashed out, Jacobellis had the race in the bag, yet decided to show off and grab her board a jump or two from the end and fell on landing. So in fact all the remaining racers did pass her.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Shameless grandstanding gone afoul. No I do not feel bad for her at all. I hope her sponsors gave her holy hell for throwing away the gold like that. Totally unprofessional.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
How do you figure? The woman from Switzerland passed Jacobellis to get the gold; Jacobellis managed to get back up and follow her, getting the silver. One of the others never made it to the finish after a rather nasty landing and the other flew off into the barriers, having to climb her way out to eventually finish for the bronze.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I guess "feel bad" is more like feeling embarrassed for her. The moments after were definitely awkward, especially since the gold medal winner in the men's competition is from the U.S. and the boyfriend of the gold medalist from Switzerland.

Steve Deacon

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't realise any of the others managed to finish. I only saw the event on the news, so it was always cut short.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
My snowboarding 16 year old son says showboating is part of the sport and pointed out that nearly all the snowboarders who had comfortable leads in the snow-cross races did the same thing on the last or next to last jump. She just happened to pull back on her board too much and lost control.

I think it was stupid grandstanding that maybe cost her a once in a lifetime opportunity to win the gold in this event...My son's reply to this: "You don't get it dad".

My son thinks it's totally cool she did that even if she fell and it cost her the gold because she is suppossed to do it...My response to this: "You're 16, what do you know".

So no, I don't feel bad for her. I'm told I'm not suppossed to.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy

I don't feel bad for her at all. This is for the gold medal and I don't think showboating was a necessary requirement to take home the gold.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Nope. But I don't feel the need to gripe either, she won the silver and if you watched the quarterfinal run she did an excellent job avoiding getting wiped out twice. I defintiely don't feel a bit of pity for Chad Hetrick's failed bid to scam his way into Heiden's gold medal record by getting "team" golds instead of all individual ones.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I feel bad for her for blowing it and probably moreso for having to do 5,000 interviews about blowing it, but it was still a terrible mistake on her part. I watched all the races and while other people did showboat, it was always on the last jump, not the next to last one like she did.

Also, if you only saw it on the news, one of the Canadians that fell got carried off on a stretcher.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I completely agree with that. I feel bad for the situation, but she did bring it on herself.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The day I feel bad for a young lady that is that good looking, has $$$ endorsements, does Dunkin Donuts commercials and also has an Olympic medal is a sad day indeed.:D

BTW, do you think she gets free coffee? That would be the last straw.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
She's like the NFL receiver who gets nailed five yards from the goal-line because he slowed down to do a stutter-step and wave to the crowd at the 10. Bad things happen when you do stupid stuff. You feel bad seeing anybody screw up - especially so publicly - but my sympathy in both cases is tempered by just a tiny bit of contempt for the act caused the problem. :)

Scott Norwood I feel sorry for. Showboaters? Not so much. Especially if they get free coffee. 'Cause that would just be wrong. ;)

Regards,

Joe

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
You’re right Carl and your son is wrong but heck he’s only 16 he’ll understand one day why you are right.

The only thing that matters in a race is WINNIG. Since there are no “style points” to be award it was stupid of her to grand stand and I can’t feel sorry for her because of that fact.

I guess she wins the Leon Lett award for stupidity.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Possibly, but it shouldn't be part of the Olympics. The Olympics embodies professionalism because of the fact that you're carrying your entire country on your shoulders. Do something stupid and not only do you embarrass yourself, but your entire country.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i dont feel bad for her. in one of the interviews, she said she grabbed the board for stability, but i dont know if that is true.

did anyone else notice that the announcers LLOOOOVEEDDD to say her name? as if it was a 6-syllable one-word name?

CJ

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The cynic in me thinks that this is the spin her handlers came up with to lessen the stupidity factor but it could be true.

I missed the race and have only viewed the fall. For those who saw it start to finish, was she grabbing the board and doing the turn out on every jump? If so I would believe her, if not "spin".

It appears from all of the stories I’m reading that she was “showboating”.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks