What's new

Who else would like to see a DVD box set with the complete collection of Tex Avery ca (1 Viewer)

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator
Who else would like to see a DVD box set with the complete collection of Tex Avery cartoons?
My ideal release of this collection would be four discs, with Wolf and Red box cover art. The first disc would feature Tex Avery’s work for Warner Brothers. The second and third discs would spotlight the MGM years. The fourth disc if possible, would include the rarely seen uncut Universal years and bonus features. Besides a biography, I wonder what other extra features would be great for a collection like this.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
The French one is missing a handful, 3 I think, and censoring another handful 5 I believe, and more than 50 MGM titles unrestored but still nice looking unedited shorts are spread out on 4 discs chronologically with three WB shorts as bonus and one version has a 5th bonus disc with two documentaries. It comes in a nice tin, the 5 disc version, and has a Symphony in Slang sketch pad reproduction.

I imported the French set a while back, they understood the demand for the product and made, as I recall, the only collection they could, a port of the old Laserdisc set. I think, had they had total control over there they probably would have presented a more proper set. I accept this type of offering from the French set of several years ago but expect more from U.S. Warner releases of the now and future yet to come.

I understand there is a movement behind the scenes to get a Tex Avery Boxset out in the US, restored and handled by the same people behind the Looney Tunes Golden Collection, safe from the evil hands of the Warner's children division what has purposefully mistreated Tom & Jerry on repeated occasions. Hopefully this will come to pass as will a proper T&J set but we will probably have to wait at least a year or so for it.

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator
A few years back during April Fools Day, Cartoon Network ran an 18 hr marathon of Tex Avery cartoons. I purchased three video tapes to record the marathon, I thought this would be great to have these recorded on video tape, but now the video tapes are messing up. On top of that, I was somewhat disappointed with the way the Cartoon network aired the marathon. To stretch it out over 18 hours, they ran a few of the same cartoons over again and they did not even bother to air two of my personal favorites “Swing Shift Cinderella and “Blitz Wolf “in the marathon. I figure my best option would be to buy a complete collection of these classic cartoons on DVD.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Only if all are fully restored, remastered, and are produced with extras like on the Looney Tunes sets.

A complete collection would be a good idea since you could probably fit all of them onto a 6-7 disc set.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd love it. It's easilly my most wanted set. Warners owns all the MGM and Warner titles, I'd like the set to have all of those, even though it would duplicate with the golden colelctions, and have them in cronological order. this is one set, where if done right, I'd pretty much pay any price, I missed out on the laser disc years and have been dying for a complete collection since I became aware of Tex Avery.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Apparently George Feltenstein (who handles the classic film releases for WB as well as the Looney Tunes collections) wants to do a complete uncut Tex Avery box. The problem is that cartoons are usually handled by WB's family entertainment division, which probably doesn't have much interest in an Avery box. Hopefully WB will turn it over to the catalogue department and the cartoons can get the treatment they deserve.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm all over this as long as they do it right. Considering the way WB has dropped the ball on T&J, I don't see this happening properly, so I'll hold on to my LDs.

Personally, I put T&J and Avery way above the Looney Tunes. I love all three, but of my top 20 cartoons, I doubt there would be a single Looney Tune.

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator

I agree, while I like Looney Tunes, I feel that the Tex Avery toons were more gear towards adults then kids. His cartoons have served as the inspiration for motion pictures such as "Who Framed Roger Rabbit and the 1993 Jim Carey movie "The Mask".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks