Who else will be following the (Cricket) World Cup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lew Crippen, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Play gets under way this Sunday when hosts South Africa meet the West Indies in what will likely be an easy win for South Africa.

Of particular interest in the first round will be the meeting between the finalists in the last World Cup: Australia and Pakistan. Pakistan, as usual is loaded with talent, but it is anyone’s guess as to how they will play on any given day. Australia and South Africa are in different pools and are expected to meet in the finals. But this is one-day cricket, where anything can (and often does) happen.

I handicap the sides in this order:

CanadaNo hope. Amateur cannon fodder for the professionals.
    HollandThe same as Canada, but they could beat Nambia
    NambiaDitto, but they might beat Holland
    KenyaNo hope, but at least they play some at an international level. Will beat Canada and possibly Bangladesh
    BangladeshNo hope. The very worst of the test playing nations. They might beat Keyna.
    ZimbabweSome hope, mostly because they will play first round matches in Zimbabwe. They will beat any of the above, may get points if New Zealand holds fast to not playing matches in Zimbabwe. Also good enough to beat most on the other teams on the day. Whoever they upset may not move to the next round.
    IndiaSome hope, but they will need some luck to get out of their pool and move on. A puzzle, as they have the best batsman in the world, but often perform poorly in the field. Their attack is also suspect, but if their big three, Tandulkar, Dravid and Ganguly score big, they will be very tough to beat.
    West IndiesSome hope. Another team that is an enigma, as is their leading player, Brian Lara. They will also need some help to advance and might well get it courtesy of a New Zealand forfiture. Better bowling overall than India, but they need to score to win. And if Lara fires they will.
    New ZealandProbably not as talented as some sides, but they play to a plan. They are taking the safe (security) and moral high ground by refusing to play in Kenya. If they follow through and forfeit against an opponent they are sure to beat, they will likely not get out of their pool. Otherwise they will fight the West Indies for the third qualifying spot in their pool.
    EnglandModerate hope, but they are in the harder of the two pools. With most of their players recovered from injury (excepting Gough), hope springs again in the English breast. But only two out of India, Pakistan and England will advance. Since they don’t have to play Australia until the last of the qualifying games, they may squeak through.
    Sri LankaModerate hope. They played very poorly recently in Australia, but were missing their strike bowler, Murali for most of the matches. Another team that can score big, plus if Murali gets some help, they can make life difficult for the opposition. The will qualify almost for sure, probably second in their pool.
    PakistanBig hope. A side that is absolutely brilliant on paper and sometimes on the field. They have batting, bowling and (sometimes) fielding. Inzamam-ul-Haq has lost 10 kilos and claims to be back to his old self. Can Waqar Younis and Wasim Akram put aside their differences (and their age)? Will the real Shoaib Akhtar show up? Will Inzi’ run himself out? And a host of other questions. No one knows until these guys take the field. They were my pick to win it all three years ago and chose the finals to play one of their poorest games.
    South AfricaExpect to win it all One of the two or three most talented sides in the world, their talent is matched by a fierce determination to win. They normally play very consistently. Unfortunately when they make mistakes, it always seems to be against Australia. Their biggest weakness is a lack of quality spin bowling, which may not mean much on their wickets. They will play all their games on home grounds. A final advantage is that they don’t have to play the Aussies in the qualifying rounds.
    AustraliaThe best until someone beats them. The unquestioned best at both forms of the game. Australia is the side that is the benchmark, not only for sides playing now, but perhaps for all time. But they have many unanswered questions. Shane Warne is coming off an injury and is almost certaintly below par. Glen McGarth is getting old. The Waugh twins no longer play one0day cricket. Ricky Ponting has not been captain under this kind of circumstance. Bevan is recovering from injury. As are McGarth, Warne and Gillespie. But still this is a side where almost any of their best eleven could play on any other side in the world. The Australians also never give up when behind and when ahead grind the other team into the dirt. I have heard that they are not too nice to the opposition.

Any comments? Does anyone else care?

2. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    Thanks, Lew.

While "care" may be a little strong, I AM interested, and will (probably) follow the Cup.

3. Henry C

Henry C Stunt Coordinator

I've always been interested in the rules of cricket and how the game works. But I never get around to it. Is there a site which will explain it?

Also, will they televise it anywhere in the US?

Thanks,

Henry

4. Lew Crippen

The best site for cricket is CrickInfo. Within that site, there are a number of çricket explanations'. Go tohere for a listing. Skip the 'Laws of Cricket'. It's one of these things that is not helpful unless you know a lot. But if you click on 'Explanations of Cricket', you will get to a very helpful section. This will take you directly there.

As to TV, I’m not sure. It won’t be in Dallas. But if you have DirectTV, there will probably be a summary of the day’s activities on ‘Fox World Sports’ or something similar. They carry ‘Sky Sports News’, several times at day (I watch at 6 am Central time). ‘Sky Sports’ concentrates on Premier League soccer but will have some cricket, rugby, and darts as well.

I expect that places with a significant populations from Pakistan, India and the West Indies (NYC for example) will have telecasts. Otherwise, Fox World Sports might choose to carry some ‘Sky Sports’ telecasts instead of South American soccer, but who knows.

5. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

I will be following via CricInfo. As an Aussie living in the US, I kinda miss the live broadcasts of the cricket. I would love to see players like Gilchrist and Bevan in full flight. A pity the Waughs aren't there. I still remember Steve's superb 120 not out against Sth Africa in 1999.

Cheers,

Joe

6. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

I was in a pub in Bangalore, India and we were watching cricket. One of the patrons was complaining and wanted to change to a football game. He said, "Cricket is a bull$hit game, two people play while twenty watch."

7. Lew Crippen

8. Lew Crippen

9. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

I think cricket also has an aesthetic quality that baseball lacks. While I appreciate the skill involved in pitching/bowling and batting and fielding in both games, I find watching an exquisitely timed cover drive or delicate cut shot or advancing down the wicket and lofting a spin bowler for six in cricket to be more akin to a work of art than a home run in baseball.

Just my opinion. [​IMG]

Lew, that comment by Steve Waugh was classic and prophetic.

Joe

10. andrew markworthy

11. Lew Crippen

Well it is about the halfway point of the first round, so perhaps time for an update.

First the standings (4 points for a win, 2 for a tie or no result and 0 for a loss)

Pool A

So far this pool has played to form, with only a forfeit shaking things up. Australia on top with 12 points, having won all three games, including their matches against India and Pakistan. The remaining schedule is Zimbabwe (probable win), Namibia (certain win) and England (probable win). They will finish with at least 16 points and probably 20-24 points.

England, India and Zimbabwe all have 8 points, partially the result of England’s refusal to play their match against Zimbabwe in Zimbabwe, thus gifting Zimbabwe with four points.

India has been typically unpredictable, losing badly to Australia, but staying alive in a must-win match against Zimbabwe. Their remaining matches are against Namibia (certain win), England (even) and Pakistan (even), which means that they will finish with at least 12 points, and need to beat either England or Pakistan to get to 16.

Zimbabwe has games against Australia (probable loss), Holland (certain win) and Pakistan (probable loss), meaning that they will likely finish with 12 points and must figure out a way to beat either England or Pakistan to get to 16.

England’s reaming games are against Pakistan (even), India (even) and Australia (probable loss), so they will probably finish with 12, and need to beat both Pakistan and India to get to 16. Otherwise they will have to beat Australia to get to 16, a very tough ask.

Pakistan has only 4 points, but they have a game in hand, having only played two matches. Remaining are games against England (even), India (even), Holland (certain win) and Zimbabwe (probable win), so they look to come in with 12, needing to win against either England or India to get to 16.

At this point, Australia appears to be a lock to move on and England has the toughest remaining schedule. Next key match is Pakistan/England.

Pool B

Upsets from top to bottom in this pool: Sir Lanka in front with 12 points, having won all three matches. Their remaining games are against Kenya (certain win), West Indies (probable win) and South Africa (even), so they will have 16 points for sure and probably at least 20.

New Zealand and Kenya are currently tied with 8 points, but that is not reflective of their strengths, as New Zealand handed Kenya 4 points when they refused to play their match in Kenya. Kenya’s other points came in their match against Canada. They will get no more unless there are some rain-outs.

New Zealand only has matches remaining against Bangladesh (certain win) and Canada (certain win). This will give them 16, so they will have a chance. Their win against South Africa was very big.

The West Indies was unlucky against Bangladesh, as rain ended the match before enough overs had been completed for a result. This leaves them with 6 points and with remaining matches against Canada (certain win), Sri Lanka (probable loss) and Kenya (certain win) they will finish with 14 points, unless they can beat Sri Lanka.

The big surprise in the standings is South Africa the pre-tournament co-favorites, who have only 4 points, losing to both New Zealand and the West Indies. They have matches against Bangladesh (certain win), Canada (certain win) and Sri Lanka (even). So they will finish with 12 for sure, needing to beat Sri Lanka to get to 16. Very lucky for them that the Windies had the rain out. And that New Zealand did not play in Kenya.

The other big shock was Canada’s win over Bangladesh, but it will have no effect on who advances.

There are only two important matches left in this pool: Sri Lanka/West Indies and Sri Lanka/South Africa.

12. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I don't like crickets...a good can of raid will kill 'em dead.