Who Else Thought The Ice Storm Was Never Given Respect

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ShawnCoghill, Jun 13, 2002.

1. ShawnCoghill

ShawnCoghill Stunt Coordinator

I thought when The Ice Storm was released It was one of the best films of the year,and I also put it on my top 101 films of all time recently.But it did NOT get any respect,Kevin Kline and Sigourney Weaver,along with everyone else did a Fantastic job,I thought sure it was going to get a AA Nomination for at the VERY LEAST Acting,and I think it deserved a Best Picture Nom. as well. When American Beauty came out I loved it as well,and they had similar storylines as far as having a film talking about a regular disjointed family,and Boom It wins Best Picture(which it deserved) along with Director and Actor(which they deserved).I just think The Ice Storm Was a Fine film,and It deserves much acclaim. I cant be the only one on this am I?

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

While it didn't win any AAs, I wouldn't say that it didn't get any respect. Critics and film fans alike loved the movie...and that's all that really matters.

But I agree with you...more recognition from the Academy would have been nice.

3. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

The film's politics are far too conservative to go anywhere with Oscar voters. Beautifully acted and photographed, though.

Mark

4. ShawnCoghill

Yeah I know people who seen it liked it,and it got pretty good critical reviews,but as far as Awards,im talking all awards,not just AA,it just didnt get the acclaim it deserved. But your right I guess it did get some respect from certain people,but just not enough.

5. ShawnCoghill

Conservative? I wouldn't think so,American Beauty faced the same issues,as far as dis-functionality of family's and marital unrest. Look what AB did.

6. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

I think the difference is that American Beauty seems to be supporting Lester (or whatever the name of Kevin Spacey's character is), but that his society won't allow him to be free. The Ice Storm shows that the freedoms of the 70s were
    generally misguided (leading to the metaphorical ice storm of the title and one character's death.) Though the themes are similar, IMO, it's a difference between where the movie's sympathies lie.

Mark

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Both movies affirm the essential "family values". I just don't see any distinction on that point.

But I agree that "The Ice Storm" was a better film than "American Beauty" - it's characters were certainly more complex and interesting than the one-dimensional ciphers of "AB" - but who the hell looks to the Academy to uphold what's great and lasting in film anyway?

8. ShawnCoghill

Yeah I think they were on different levels,Lester Burnam was a simple guy who was backed into a corner,the corner being growing up,and being responsible,and he simply wanted out of the corner,he wanted the good ol' days,and Im sure Hollywood felt the same as him in some ways,and perhaps thats why it was so taken to,The Ice Storm showed the feelings of the 70s,and the topics which drove drove them. I know they were not exactly the same on every level,but they were similar on a few levels. I loved American Beauty and it is in fact Higher on my top 101 list of films than The Ice Storm,but It was Quite a Fine Film and deserved more attention.

9. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

What really matters is whether you liked it or not. While awards are nice, and we want to see our favorites do well, most all awards are simply artistic politics these days. Not to say that all the winners and nominees are unqualified, far from it. It just makes me cringe that the studios lobby for awards and nominations just like it's a political campaign. They should just let the films stand on their own merits. So now it's gotten to the point that if we like a movie that received little to no Oscar/Golden Globe interest, it becomes "disrespected" or my favorite, "underrated". They're still good movies, and people still like them. And we shouldn't allow ourselves to feel that the movies we like are in any way inferior to those that received the awards. That's just letting others influence your opinion.

10. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I picked it as the best film of the year, but let's face it, The Ice Storm is a bitter pill to swallow (moreso than American Beauty). And if you think the film was tough, well, the book was even more scathing. With Ang Lee's elevated stature, I'm a little surprised this film hasn't been reevaluated (reviews were strongly favorable but it never made it out of the arthouses).

11. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I thought Eve's Bayou of the same year was given even less respect. What a great year for movies though.

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

13. ShawnCoghill

Most People agree now that L.A. Confidential WAS the Best Picture of the year in 97'. I mean I have nothing against Titanic but Confidential was just the Better film,The Ice Storm as well was just a better film. Same thing with Fargo in 96' most now agree that it was a better film and deserved Best Pic more than The English Patient. Fargo is one of the best films ever made,in my opinion. I ranked it #12 all time.

14. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    I agree that the Ice Storm was a very good film, but i disagree with your contention that it didn't get respect. Most critics gave it very favorable reviews, praise, etc.

15. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    BTW, although i tip my hat to the very good films listed by others in this thread (all of which i saw), the best film of '97 was "the sweet hereafter".
    IMHO, of course. [​IMG]

16. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Hehe...That is another good one. My fav is still LA Confidential...I practically watch it weekly [​IMG]

17. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I loved the movie when I came out. It grows on me even more with each subsequent watch. Despite the lack of Academy recognition.
    You know what...to hell with the Academy. I like what I like, no matter who tells me what is out there to be liked. [​IMG]
    But I get the spirit of what you're saying, Shawn. It's always nice see your favorites get the recognition you think they deserved.
    Eerily, I think the predominant tone of this movie, heavily nuanced, underlying tensions, pervaded the way this movie was publicized. It doesn't reach out and shake you...likewise, this movie kind of crept throughout the year, letting the more brash films steal the spotlight.

18. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Stunt Coordinator

The ending of this movie still screws me up everytime i watch it. Easily my fav movie of that year. If im not mistaken , it was the great Gene Siskel's fav also.

19. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H

Really? I wasn't aware of that. I certainly don't think L.A. Confidential is the best pic of that year. I see many people here like "Ice Storm" "The Sweet Hereafter" and "Eve's Bayou" (great films, all) better.

"Ice Storm" was my favorite of the year. Something about it resonated very personally for me. Great stuff.

I'll never get all the "Titanic" bashing. I guess success makes you a target, but it just isn't a bad film, just a film with flaws. L.A. Confidential has a totally cheesy, copout, Hollywood happy ending and it never gets flack for that. So why does everybody crap on "Titanic" for being overly sappy, with some bad dialogue and a couple thin characters?

20. Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris Supporting Actor