Who else thinks the Moody Blues should be inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Jun 27, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I definitely do. They've been around since 1964, and released their first album in 1965. The rules say that you have to release your first album 25 years prior to being eligible, which has made the Moody Blues eligible since 1990, 12 years ago. They have been very influencial in '60s and '70s music, especially the psychedelic and art/progressive rock areas. They are the first rock band to record a whole album with an orchestra. They've also been together for 38 years and still record. All this together should have gotten them in. How could bands such as the Ramones, Talking Heads, Aerosmith, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and Bee Gees get in before them? So who is in agreement with me that they should be inducted?

2. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I think it's a good idea. Their first release was in '66, with 'Days of Future Passed.'

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Actually they had 2 before Day of Future Passed, Go Now and Magnificient Moodies, both of which were released in '65. I also believe Days Of Future Passed was released in '67, not '66.

4. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

I always thought this was a really good band that had lousy producers. I'm not knocking the band, "Every Good Boy Deserves Favour" is one of my favorite albums and I even named my son Justin (after Justin Hayward).

But to me something never sounded quite right.

The orchestras (when used) always sounded fake and far off. Sometimes the vocals sounded like they were singing into a coffee can. I think this is one band where the production values really let them down.

Now, if they would have had George Martin..................

*edit* And yes they deserve to be in the hall!

5. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I'm just relating the info I found on their official website.

6. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

They tend not to count the original lineup for the most part that included the first 2 albums I mentioned. If you watch Legend of a Band, Graeme Edge(the drummer) even says that he considers the original lineup a stepping stone(can't think of the right words at the moment) like all the other bands he was before John Lodge and Justin Hayward came aboard and changed the sound. Most of the compilations you see on the market don't even have the original lineup's most well known hit Go Now on them, not even Time Traveller, which covers all their time periods/eras except the '64 to '66 era.

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I vote "IN"! They were/are alot more poular than alot of the bands that are in. In the 60's and 70's they were a big deal. [​IMG]

8. Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy Stunt Coordinator

Hell yes, The Moodies deserve to be inducted into the RHF! I really can't understand why they've been passed over this long.

9. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

The Moody Blues are simply another number on a semi short list of people that I think that they have overlooked. Hopefully in time, they will be. They are certain worthy.

10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I'll spare you the rant against the Hall of Fame, but suffice it say that any "hall of fame" that doesn't include Black Sabbath loses all credibility with me.

NP: Ellington/Basie, First Time, CD

12. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I can't understand at all why they aren't in. It's not like all their career revolved around being art/progressive rock. They're a very innovative band that's stayed around for almost 40 years changed with the times and kept a sizable following. I don't think too many British Invasion bands have stayed around as long as them, besides the Rolling Stones and the Who. I can't really think of any others. Maybe someday they'll be inducted, but let's just hope it's before they die. They'll all getting up there, with the older members and ex-members being around 60 or over 60.