Who else thinks The Disney Channel isn't worth it anymore?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nicholas Vargo, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    I will admit that when this channel became part of my basic cable package in 1993, they were commercial free and they seemed to be great. However, in recent years, the Disney Channel has turned into something I don't like. It promotes itself only to kids with its crappy Zoog Disney idea and really doesn't care about the real Disney fanatics who would rather watch a documentary on one of Disney's animated films like "Snow White" than an episode of "Even Stevens". They really really tick me off that they do this to us, especially those who loved what Disney used to do for us on that channel. Do any of you guys agree with me that the Disney Channel has fliped its lid and will never recover? Please post if you agree or if you want to argue about it.

2. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I have to admit that I really like Even Stevens, and at the moment, it's the only TV show I watch. I do think it's weird that the Disney Channel is so predominantly Zoog, though, and I still have no idea what the heck a Zoog is exactly. Unless I turn on the TV at 9 AM, it always seems to be Zoog Disney.

3. Mike Monti

Mike Monti Stunt Coordinator

They should bring back some of the old stuff. I loved the Mouse Factory when I was growing up. I thank God every day that Mousercise isn't on the air anymore though. My little sister was addicted to that and Dumbo's Circus (and KidSongs, but that abomination was on another channel).

Edited because using complete words is a good idea when you want people to understand you.

4. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Nicholas, I think you hit the nail right on the head. My family used to get the Disney channel when it was a subscription service. They had something for kids and adults; classic and lesser-known Disney cartoons and movies (as well as Wonderful World of Disney reruns), music specials and classic Hollywood films, and more. They aired the 1990-1996 Canadian series Road to Avonlea in this country under the name "Avonlea." It was a great network.

But then two years after Disney bought ABC they started to narrowcast, mainly to 12-year-old girls. They now interrupt all their crummy shows with commercials (for their own programming) and restricted the vintage Disney material to ungodly hours of the night. It sort of paralleled the lamentable decline of AMC from a true movie lover's channel to a USA Network knockoff.

Is it any wonder Disney's stock price is declining?

5. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Disney lost some of it's documentary sense, and it dropped a lot of the real "behind the scenes" and developed into a self-promotional bit when Disney took over ABC, and Disney sunday movies moved from Disney channel to ABC.

What also hurt Disney channel is that a lot of the truly unique product they had went away; or was viewed as too valuable; I don't know if people will remember this, but many of the extras on the Toy Story Box (original LD) were shown on the Disney channel in a one day "Behind Toy Story" Sunday. You'd never see that now, you also don't see them showing the kind of initial script reviews, etc. that they did.

I don't mind Zoog Disney. What I do mind is that the Disney channel now only covers it's movies in the most blatant of advertising methods, without giving a lot of credit to those who want to show how they made X work.

6. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Yeah, I remember when disney was commercial free. WTF happened? But I'm 19 and I still watch Quack Attack and the Rescue Rangers. Them commercials are a real PITA now. Also, when they show movies on there, they show them in Pan and Scan and not OAR. Like Milo and Otis that was on there a while back.

Disney needs to show no commercials and the movies they air in their OAR.

7. Matthew Furtek

Matthew Furtek Stunt Coordinator

I've caught Disney a few times... some by accident, and others because I find it to be a fairly wholesome and entertaining network.

Seems to me like Disney needs to branch out... a-la ESPN. Think about if ESPN didn't have ESPN 2 and ESPN Classic... there is just the possibility for so much programming to be put on. Isn't there a Toon Disney Channel? Maybe Disney needs a Disney Classic channel.

If Disney rolls these channels out, how do you get all the cable and sat providers to carry them??

Matthew Furtek

8. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

My kids love Disney Channel. Especially "Lizzie McGuire" and most of the made-for-disney channel movies.

9. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    I will admit that the Disney Channel has some good stuff. "So Weird" is like an "X-Files" for kids and it works perfectly. Also, some of the films are good too. "Smart House" was a surprisingly funny film, as was "Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century" and "P.U.N.K.S.". My biggest problem with the network is that the Disney Channel rallies behind the Zoog Disney deal with everything and it is simply annoying. I will tell you now, I think Walt Disney is spinning in his grave right now because of it.

10. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

To me, Disney Channel is a sick joke and a pale shell of what it once was. This network was my exposure in my single and early double-digit years to popular culture and music, movies and TV ranging from the 30s to the early 90s. There was Disney material out the wazoo, plus the great Disney specials from the 80s ("Totally Minnie", with Robert Carradine, Suzanne Somers, Phillip Michael Thomas, Vanna White and Elton John is a brilliant example of maximum Disney in the maximum 80s.)

1996 rolls around, and Disney puts a gun to the head of the innocent creature called "classic"...it pulls the trigger and then it's a Zoog riot. I don't even bother with this lame-oid network anymore. Give me Mickey and Minnie and Goofy and Donald and Daisy and Pluto and Chip 'N' Dale..."Even Stevens", "Lizzie McGuire" and all this teenybopper crapola can burn for all I care.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Not my style.

11. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Amen, John! Everytime I see my sister watching a rerun of the painfully mediocre "Boy Meets World," and William Daniels comes up, I say to myself "poor guy, he used to be on St. Elsewhere; now look at him!"

There's a reason Disney now comes for free with the TV service; there's nothing on it I'd pay for. As for WWoD reruns, I'll wait for them to come out on DVD.

Maybe this is a little off-topic, but Mickey and Donald both had girlfriends but Goofy never did.