Who else likes hearing stories from their family members?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Dec 21, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I definitely do. I love history, and find it fun to imagine the way things were around my area.

Take my grandmother for instance. She has lived here in my house since 1926, when she moved here at age 8 with her parents. She remembers that there were hardly any cars around, there were still trolleys going all over, there were alot of dirt roads, there were one room school houses here, etc. Also, my house was the last on the street, which now it's in the middle. When my grandmother graduated high school, there was only 35 students. Now the graduating class here is a few hundred. The high school was where my middle school is.

My grandmother worked in the mills for many years. She even had to make stuff for World War 2. She told me about having to cover the top of car headlights, the lack of beef and having to eat horse meat, the lack of many other things, and all kinds of other things. She even knew Robert Goulet, because she and his mother worked together.

It's so interesting to hear stuff like this. I could sit there for hours and listen to older people tell about what they experienced.

2. Andrew S

Andrew S Stunt Coordinator

I used to like hearing stories from my relatives. My one uncle actually had very interesting stories and was a good story-teller. But once you started hearing the same stories OVER AND OVER they just got annoying and you couldn't stand to sit near him anymore [​IMG].
    By the way, they weren't the type of stories your grandmother seemed to tell, they were more like how the cable company and goverment is screwing him over [​IMG]
    Andrew

3. Peter-PP

Peter-PP Stunt Coordinator

StephenA,
    I also feel the same way about my grandmother who passed away more than 2 decades ago and I vividly remember the things that she used to tell me. She was a Chinese immgrant and in the 30's, she fled China with her husband and their young child and went in search of freedom. Her journey wasn't easy and I still admire her courage to say alive.
    I'm writing a book about her and her ordeal. English is not my first language and since I can't afford to hire a professional writer/author (maybe someday), I'm writing it in my own words and is available online.
    China

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I like hearing stories from family members that were in WWII. Also like hearing about how my town was "way back when."

5. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

My family members who were in WW2, either died before I was born, or I didn't know well. So I never got to hear about their expiriences in the war. I do know that my grandfather on my mom's side was stationed in Panama for a while, and then went off to the Pacific. He was in the Air Force. He flew with Jackie Coogan, who played Uncle Fester on the Addams Family show, and had a pet monkey and iguana while down in Panama. But that's all I know. He died a little less than a year before I was born.

My grandfather on my dad's side came from England. The only one of his siblings from there too. All the rest were born here in the US. I never got to meet him, because he died in 1957, when my dad was 9, and 22 years before I was born. My grandmother said he woulda loved me to death, because we're so much alike, sharing many of the same interests, having a similar personality, and such. I think that's cool. Makes me wish I knew him that much more.

That's cool that you're writing about your grandmother, Peter. She must have went through alot. I'll have to check it out some time.

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

My grandmother on my mom's side just pass away in China, so I hear a lot of family history from my mom and my aunts. Most of those stories are of hardship and survival during tough times. Since I've never met most of the people in these stories, I always try to picture in my mind how these things happened. I don't remember meeting my grandfather on my mom's side, but my mom keep telling me how he adored me when I was a baby. Unfortunately, he passed away not too long after I was born.

Almost 10 years after his passing, I still hear a lot of stories about my late father. Since almost all my relatives from my father's side are gone, I hear these stories from my aunts on my mom's side. My father was a very modest man and rarely ever mentioned it when he was alive, but he was apparently a big-time professional dancer in his younger days in Hong Kong. Even did a Command Performance for the Governor of Hong Kong. My mom was his dancing partner, and I hear all these stories about where they toured and all the adventures they had when they just got married. Everytime my mom takes out the photo albums, it's story time for hours.

7. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Oh boy, not me. It sorta drives me nuts. I feel bad about it too because my mom is a family history buff and loves talking about it Unfortunately I usually end up sounding like an asshole when I say I'm not interested. When I try to listen it usually just puts' me to sleep. [​IMG]