What's new

Who else is looking forward to the Panasonic DMP-BD50? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart

That's actually Cnet's
review (I guess ZDNet and cnet are the same?). It seems like a fairly accurate review, but keep in mind that Matthew Moskovciak is a huge PS3 fan.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Still, nothing to make me want to "retire" the PS3 yet, not for likely twice the price (in Canada).

Until there are more quality 7.1 HDMI 1.3 pre-pros out there, I need the 7.1 analog outs. Otherwise I'd still be running half-assed, no reason to pay any extra to do it...

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Based on this review, deinterlacing seems to be excellent, but upscaling is mediocre (well, at least not "excellent"). BD50 is also slower than e.g. PS3 (the reviewer´s quote from the forums: "MUCH slower").

Then again it has bitstream option for HD-audio (and analog out for some - though not 7.1). And Blu-ray quality is great.

Hmm. Interesting to read the similar review of Sony BDP-S550 (their first "stand-alone" 2.0-model) at some point.

Btw. There are also reports, that the mod chip (region free) that worked for BD30 also works for BD50. Just FYI.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
One new review of BD50 (by David Boulet and Dan Ramer):
Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Disc Player

edit: Again it seems, that the upscaling is not perfect with BD50.

I really like the upscaling with my PS3 (equal to e.g. Toshiba), so I would like to get at least "equal" upscaling with my (future) stand-alone player...

edit: Interesting notes also about bitstream/PCM-issues..

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The release history of this player has been rather strange. It doesn't ever seem to have been widely distributed (it seems to be absent from many of the usual retailers), and now it seems that it will be superceded by the BD55, even though it's barely been available for a couple of months.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
But I believe the BD55 and the BD35 will not be available before, when?, November, December?

If you can afford to wait: those look like very serious contenders.
But, personally, I think I'm going to try and get me a BD50 now.

Cees

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I have no idea, but I guess something like that. I guess you could get one "for Xmas"?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

When it comes to BD55 ( Blu-ray.com - New Panasonic Blu-ray Players to be Announced at CEDIA )...

"The Panasonic DMP-BD35 and DMP-BD55 will both feature an updated version of the UniPhier® video processor as well as an Ethernet port for BD-Live compatibility.

The DMP-BD55 will focus on audio reproduction with the addition of 8-channel analog audio outs (the DMP-BD50 only has 6-channel), high quality audio components, and isolation feet to reduce the effects of vibration."

1) What´s "UniPhier video processor"? Related to upscaling, or?

2) I thought, that BD50 has also Ethernet port?

3) BD55 has 8-channel analog audio outs (vs. 6 in BD50). This could make a difference to some, but I have already HDMI 1.3-receiver (no need for analog outs, really).

4) "High quality audio components" and "isolation feet to reduce the effects of vibration". These sound a bit like "marketing talk" to me... At least quite vague stuff..

Btw. About that mod-chip for BD30/BD50... This might help (at least get you started):
Bluraymods.com - Home

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Panasonic is telling people that the BD50 has been discontinued. Make way for the BD55.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yep.

Yet, I just ordered one, because I won't be waiting until X-mas.
(Well, it might be November even, but that doesn't change my mind.)

Cees

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You can generally assume with the CE industry that, by the time they finally get the product into consumers' hands, they've already moved on to the next model.

Panasonic is a past master at this. I remember when they got rave reviews for a laser disc player, the LX-1000. But I never found a dealer who had one in stock. Before the reviews were even published, they'd discontinued the 1000 and replaced it with the cheaper (and more cheaply constructed) LX-900.

M.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Have there been any rumors of a region free (PAL/NTSC) mod for the US BD30s? I don't know that I really need 7.1 outs for audio (would get a new receiver that handles this via HDMI) or ethernet (handier, but at what additional price?). It would be nice to have access to my non R1 DVDs again after my Malata failed prematurely.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I just got the European press release about the upcoming DMP-BD35 and DMP-BD55. They´re coming in October (in Europe, that´s).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Too bad I need an Reg-A machine.

I see.
But after the mod is applied, there won't be much difference in that respect.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

(I know, you're not contemplating import.)

Cees

LCD22

Screenwriter

Well, that's just perfect.

I bought the BD50 earlier this month on Amazon, after waiting for it since January. I almost bought the BD30, but then this was announced as coming at CES.

I've been debating whether to send it back to them and wait for the BD55. Guess I better make that decision quickly before I missed the return window.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks