What's new

Who Else Is Looking Forward To Baseball? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
I know I am. Won't be long now, baby. And Baseball Tonight debuts on ESPN tonight (Sunday) at midnight! Yeah, baby, yeah!! I hope my Fantasy teams do well this year. Anyone else into Fantasy Baseball? Gotta love DIRECTV Extra Innings Baseball package! Baseball every night! PLAY BALL!!

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Baseball would be the best sport on the planet if it had a salary cap. Can you tell I'm an Oakland A's fan?

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am. Of course, I'd be looking forward to it even more if the Astros actually made a deal or 2 this offseason to improve their team instead of sitting with their thumbs up their who-know-whats like always. But what are you gonna do?

At least the Cubs have lost Gordon for probably the first couple months of the season.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Can you tell I'm an Oakland A's fan?
The A's are freakin' LOADED compared to my team...
royals.gif

I'm also a Cubs fan though...they should have a pretty darn good season this year with the addition of Moises Alou and McGriff to compliment Sosa.
My Royals days are pretty much behind me now... right after this guy retired :frowning:
brettkisshome.jpg

BTW: I was at this game above (Brett's last home game in KC) and this was a tremendous moment. Thank goodness I have the whole night on tape (camcorder). I need to burn that over to a DVD soon!

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Michael--Yeah, the Royals are probably in for another long year, but they have some good bats in the lineup in Sweeney, Beltran, Knoblauch, Randa...but that starting pitching...ouch! Until they get some quality SP's they will continue to struggle.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
LET'S GO METS!!!

Hopefully the pitching will hold otherwise they'll have to score 10 runs per game, but with their lineup they probably can!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I love the game of baseball, but I loathe the financial structure of baseball where only a handful of teams have a realistic shot of winning the World Series.

The economic structure is analogous to playing a fixed hand of poker and being told who has the best series of cards. Why would I want to participate in a game like that? Same thing applies with baseball.

I used to follow MLB with great fervor, but no longer. I'm a casual observer now and I've only been to two games in the past three years (I'm a Pittsburgh Pirates fan).

I apologize for the cynical post, but I simply want baseball to become viable for all teams regardless of their market size - the way it is in the NFL.

Until that time comes, no thanks. I refuse to support any team on a regular basis.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
I cant wait either. I got into a few fantasy bball leagues. I really would have liked to join the HTF fantasy league, but I was too late.

Oh well. GO BRAVES!

Michael Fennessy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Fennessy
I cannot wait for Baseball Season. Fortunately, I am a Yankee fan and know my team will have at least a good shot at winning the World Series every year.

Can't wait for April 1st.

Mike

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm with Tom. This will be my 10th consecutive year of not attending a game, nor watching one on TV. The last straw for me was the work stoppage that cancelled the World Series -- something that two world wars and the Great Depression could not do. The current financial structure eliminates too many teams from having any chance to compete. Also, the game times continue to get longer. I'm sorry, but a 4 hour baseball game is way too long. Game times should be closer to 2 hours.

I have said this before -- if the NFL ran its league like MLB does, then the Green Bay Packers would no longer exist.

BTW, I used to attend up to a dozen games a year, and rarely missed the local team's games (Tigers), either catching them on TV or the radio. I always tried to attend the home opener, too (it was my way of ushering in spring). I also attended spring training games in Lakeland on more than one occasion.

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
Scott and Tom: My personal dream for this season would have my MN twins to go all the way and win the world series, with no new stadium in sight, then the day after they win, Selig announces he's still going to contract them. Then with all the public outrage, the whole league folds :D
ok not going to happen, but hey, I can always dream.

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Yup, many a sleepless night to come. Although at least we actually get some live games over here I suppose (on live at 2am that way).

The World Series turned me into an insomniac I tell ya.

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
I love baseball! I've been considering getting the Extra Innings package so I can actually see my team play. Just a couple things holding me back so far:

1) My team is the Tigers. After they are eliminated from contention by June 1, can I really get myself to watch that many more games?

2) The sheer volume of games. I'm also in a couple fantasy leagues, so I know I'll flip like crazy watching a dozen games at once, all the while driving my poor wife to the brink of insanity. It made her crazy enough watching me do that every Sunday with the Ticket, so every day might just nudge her over the edge!

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
I can't wait for baseball to start. In two weeks I'll be freezing my ass off watching the Mariners and I'll love it. I can't wait for the Yankees come to town, so I can boo the hell out of Jason "The Sellout" Giambi.

I love the game, but I sure don't love MLB. It's run by a bunch of incompetent morons who are trying their damndest to ruin a great game. Bud Selig doesn't have the brains to run a Babe Ruth league. Bring on revenue sharing and salary caps. I'm sick to death of the Yankees and Braves. Give somebody else a chance. Learn from the NFL. It's by far the most exciting league when it comes down to playoff time.

I also can't wait for fantasy baseball to start. My two NBA teams are completely out of competition. I need a fresh start.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Where are all the Red Sox fans?

Mixed feelings this year with the addition of a legitimate lead off hitter (Johnny Damon) and some new pitchers are not rejects and rehabs. But with Pedro, Nomar and Jason Varitek coming off major injuries I have a feeling of nervous anticipation.

I'm really looking forward to the season, but it's pretty hard to think of anything but college hoops while my UCONN Huskies are still going strong!

BEAT SIU!

Ralph

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks