Who else is excited about the Outlaw 950 ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Cain, Oct 26, 2001.

1. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Am I the only person around here who can hardly stand the wait for the new Outlaw Pre/Pro 950??
    (I know I'm not, just stimulating a little chatter about this unit while we wait..)
    -- John
    ------------------

2. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

I'm planing on buying it if it doesn't have the hiss that the 1050 has. I was also a little disappointed to not see DTS 24/96 on the list of sound formats that it will support. Meanwhile I am using my 1050 as a pre-pro in my home theatre, while my main living room is living off an 10 year old sony prologic receiver...

3. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

The wife and I have a phrase about waiting for something for a long time, that is "anti-climactic".
    "anti-climactic" adv. A decline or letdown viewed in disappointing contrast to what has gone before. 2. A commonplace event that follows a series of signifigant events.
    We've been waiting for an addition to be built on our home since May, but they're digging the foundation right now. So even though we've described this event as anti-climactic to all of our friends and family, it's getting pretty exciting right now!
    So maybe the same will hold true for the new 950! [​IMG]

4. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

me me me me! I'm waiting and will start in home auditioning units when it arrives. It's going to be hard to beat with the $899 price.

5. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

I was until they told me they wouldn't ship to an APO address!!! I'm in the Military and you need to use USPS to ship to APO's. There FAQ page even says they'll work with you on special shipping, but Outlaw says NO!!!
    Craig

6. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Bummer Craig. Can you get a relative in the States to buy one and ship it to you???
    BTW I appreciate your service to our great Country, stay safe and take care,
    -- John
    ------------------

7. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Thanks for the reply John, My APO is in New York so I don't understand Outlaw, all they have to do is pay shipping to N.Y. through USPS and the Military does the rest.
    Craig

8. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    I am really looking forward to having 6.1 surround in my system and trying out DPL II. I have never had a separate preamp before and I believe the wait will be worth it for a quality product.
    ------------------

9. Razvan V

Razvan V Stunt Coordinator

I was skeptical at first about the 950 preamp but after reading the excellent FAQ at the Outlaw site I must admit that it looks like this will be a very nice unit indeed. Great DAC's and, very important for me, it comes with a 5-year warranty. That means that its build quality must be very good. Can't wait to order it.
    Razvan

10. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

I was really excited about it too, until I went to go listen to one ---oh, where can I go to ,you know, HEAR IT???
    I am sure it will sound great, who will say otherwise?

11. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Matthew.
    You order one and listen to it in your home, no risk (other than return shiping).
    The best place to audition anything is always at home.
    -- John
    ------------------

12. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

where I can, no doubt, compare it to the 3 or 4 other pre-pro's that I have there . I can also receive the face-to-face ,personal advice of people in the industry who have compared it ,under many differant circumstances, to other (comporable) equipment... [​IMG]
    I don't mean to be an agitator, I,m sorry if I come off that way, I just wan't to reserve bestowing God-like accolades on equipment that no one (or few) have heard yet and that no one has been able to "run through the ringer" with other comporable equipment ,especially when everyone has been waiting soooo long...
    My attitude is not half as sh!tt^y when I speak (though sometimes sarcastically)as it appears to be in print!!
    but really, as I believe home-made subs inspirred e-manufacturers to produce high quality goods, which is in turn inspirering traditional manufacturers to improve their product, I hope that an Outlaw-type product may inspire traditional mfgrs to produce in-expensive pre-pro's....
    When, however, seems to be anyones guess .........

13. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

I have no idea how it will sound, but I'll let you know as soon as I hear it. [​IMG]
    Folks are excited because of the stellar track-record Outlaw has for terrific products at reasonable prices.
    They do this by dealing direct with customers, so if you wanna hear it, you gotta buy it and try it out.
    -- John
    ------------------

14. TomH

TomH Second Unit

If they really expect people to "enjoy the 950 by Thanksgiving" they better start taking orders soon.
    Tom

15. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I just visited their website again, and I must say I've become very interested in their audio product, it looks totally cool!
    I wonder what the introduction price will be in Europe?
    ------------------
    ~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

16. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

The Outlaw 950 is the "on paper" best pre/pro ever created!!
    This pre/pro has to be at least a good performer. Even if the Outlaw's sound (or lack of) is comparable with the Denon 3802 when used as a pre/pro or one of these other receivers that a lot of members were drooling over not too long ago, for movies this is highly exceptable performance. The direct competition for the 950 is not "high end or the ultra expensive" pre /pros but the consumers who purchase receivers and wanted to get into seperates.
    In the advertised price range there are no pre/pros that we would consider cutting edge. Even if the "high end" crowd doesn't consider the 2-channel performance to be any better than the Marantz 9000 or Sony pre/pro, there is a huge consumer base in this category that could not afford to get into seperates without buying gear used and with outdated or basic offerings.
    This has to be a successful product. The "average Joe" crowd demands it, the feature happy members demand it and the economy demands it.
    Although I doubt that I will be buying this piece, I see the sense in bringing out a unit like this. There is a highly neglected segment of consumers out there and it looks like the Outlaw Audio Klan listened and is obviously coming through.
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!
    [Edited last by Martice on October 29, 2001 at 06:11 AM]

17. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    ------------------------------------
    "we will be among the very first, if not THE first surround processors to offer Cirrus Extra Surround. This process will enable you to listen to ANY digital or analog input source in 5.1, 6.1 (added center back surround) or 7.1 (decoded mono rear surround back channel, fed to two outputs, each at -3dB), depending on your speaker configuration. Extra Surround may be set to automatically switch to a surround mode that takes advantage of 6.1 encoding when a flag is present, or you may select it manually. We will have the absolute latest code for this exciting mode, and expect it to be the favorite for many listeners. The Model 950 will be the first component "separate" processor/tuner/preamp to offer Cirrus Extra Surround. "
    ------------------------------------
    Now this sounds very interesting to say the least! Since I have a 7.1 speaker configuration I would be very interested in hearing this mode.
    ------------------
    -Mark
    **** Digital Vortex ****
    The Digital Electronic Site
    www.digitalvortex.com

18. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

The 950 sounds great on paper but the Proofs in the Pudding. There was a lot of excitement over the Outlaw receiver and while a high value piece it had a few bugs on it's maiden launch. I am excited and have hope the 950 is as good as it gets but will be awaiting user reports and reviews before deciding to purchase. Caveat Emptor!!
    Frank

19. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I'm looking forward to the 950. I decided to build a separates-based system when Outlaw first announced this product. Since I've been working on a new media room which is only finishing up now, I could afford to wait. I can't justify spending multiple thousands of bucks on a processor (while I need money for amps and speakers).
    I am also curious about the Outlaw schedule. Beta testing applications closed today, and they'll be shipping units (at least in limited quantities) by Thanksgiving? I'd like to see their Gantt chart for this project.
    Hopefully there were a few beta testers selected from this forum that can subsequently enlighten us shortly after the beta is ended, assuming Outlaw unbuttons their lips in a timely fashion.
    Doug
    ------------------
    "Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

20. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

I agree that Thanksgiving looks like a tight schedule!!
    I hope they realize Thanksgiving is not that last week in November like it usually is [​IMG]
    Can't wait to get my hands on this pre/pro though.
    -- John
    ------------------