Who else is annoyed that the Ray Charles SA-CD came in a DVD-A case?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rachael B, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Concord, has been putting out Sack-Dee's for awhile, they ought to know better. What're they gonna do next, release the thing as a DVD-A in an SA-CD case? Daft punks they be!

2. AricB

AricB Second Unit

how is it? I havent found it at a B&M store yet?

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Aric, it sounds pretty good on my little system in stereo. It's encouraging to have an album of actual newly recorded music put on hi-rez! The recording details are intentionally vague, seemingly. It seems to be a PCM based recording, Protools was used, they credit an engineer for such, anyway's. So, it must not be a DSD original, I think? That's not a problem in my book. It's certainly an eclectic variety. I got it at Busted Buy. Maybe the albums been put in DVD-A slips at some locales? They might just do that to match up the case sizes?

4. AricB

AricB Second Unit

thanks, will check it out.

5. John Milton

John Milton Second Unit

Sounds like a good way to confuse consumers further. No wonder these formats aren't going anywhere. [​IMG]

6. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

I think it is SACD's way of telling the DVD-A folks that they are taking over the world.

The larger DVD-A cases have always been a better idea, IMO. I have to keep all of my SACD's separate from regular CD's because they look the same end-on. The DVD-A stuff is easy to identify in an audio rack 'cause the case is bigger. Makes sense to me.

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Dave, I like the shorter super jewel cases since they require less shelf space. Also, I've found that even when the cases are bigger they stille use lots of small print, about the same size as usual, most of the time. More importantly, I think formats ought to have a characteristic look. This release has the wrong one. Somebody is likely to post to this thread that they found the SA-CD in with the DVD-A's...? Mine will be stored with my DVD-A's because the shoe fits. [​IMG]

8. Justin_P

Justin_P Stunt Coordinator

Hehehehe... I actually did find the Ray Charles SACD in with the DVD-As at Tower Records, along with the Henry Mancini SACD. Same thing at Best Buy. The Flaming Lips DVD-A seems to end up everywhere from the DVD-A section at Tower, to the SACD OR regular CD section at Best Buy, and once even the DVD-Video section (can't remember the retailer).

Anyway, I have to agree with Rachel on the short super jewel cases being my preference: you can tell it's not your normal CD at a quick glance but it's still the same size, plus they are usually labeled on all four sides, instead of two like on standard CD cases. I like Digipacks too, but the multi disc ones (especially Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road w/ bonus DVD and the Who's Tommy) can get to be a bit of a chore if you don't have a table or something to unfold it on (too much gear in my home theater!).

At least the Alien Quadrilogy box set was so big there was no temptation to try![​IMG]

Justin

9. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    It sounds like SACD is trying to piggy back on the merits of the better format DVD-A![​IMG]

Wes

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    It sounds like it's 4-20 time at Concord to me Wes. Laugh now, but when the DVD-A comes out in an SA-CD case, you may be annoyed.[​IMG]

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I knew it Justin! Monkeyboy see, monkeeboy do, us hominidae put the pegs in the hole that fits.[​IMG]

12. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Hey, at least we got "Yoshimi" in a normal sized case!

It's not bothered me that DVD-A has an unusual case design, but I do wish there was more consistency in packaging. Basically, I tell my wife that "this shelf of discs play in the DVD-A player, and all those shelves of discs play in the CD/SACD player." So I think that's very helpful for both the average consumer. But consistency is so important, especially for something so new. The possibility of customer confusion is great... just think of the poor slobs who pick this disc up assuming it's DVD-A, and they've probably been further confused by the disc being mis-stocked among the DVD-As (at my local Best Buy, there are many such mis-stocked discs).