Who else here really enjoys 'SPEED 2'?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Inspector Hammer!, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I have seen the film now about 6 times, 5 were in pan n scan (forgive me), on tape and on a poor sound system. I enjoyed it good enough but didn't really think it was as good as the original. However, after I recieved my tax check I went on a dvd shopping spree and picked it up just so that I could complete the collection. My brother and I watched it Friday night, in widescreen for the first time, on my 48" HD and in DTS, the experience was quite thrilling!

I really got into it this time, more so than any other time I watched it, and I don't see why so many people are down on it so hard, it's fun as long as you don't think too much. [​IMG] I know, that's a tired excuse for liking what's widely known to be a bad movie by most everyone, but I believe it's true in this case.

I actually took the disc back a chapter and watched that scene again when the ship, the 'Seaborn Legend' sideswipes that oil tanker, that's one hell of a sequence! Eye popping realism! [​IMG]

Anyway, I really like this movie now that i've seen it under the correct conditions, it just goes to show that a good HT set-up can really enhance a film and one's enjoyment of it.

2. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

i hope youre not talking about the speed sequel......ewww..lol

3. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

"Sorry Mr. Kinter, but that bus was going way too fast."

It wasn't as good as the first Speed, but I'm still at a loss as to why everyone keeps dumping on it.

4. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

The only think I like about the sequel is Sandra Bullock in a bikini. Otherwise, it stunk.

Of course, this will be the umpteenth time I have to mention a hot babe in a John Williamson topic. [​IMG]

5. JonathanG

JonathanG Stunt Coordinator

I quite enjoyed the movie, owned the laserdisc, had to get the DVD for the DTS track.

6. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I can watch it because of Sandra Bullock, but it was very disappointing compared to the original.

Just silly, over expensive, and unoriginal. Which is bizarre because it was set on a boat, which isn't that common.

7. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

It's been several years since I saw it, but from what I remember I found a good portion of it to be boring. However, as you said, the tanker sequence was awesome and, together with the finale, made the rental worthwhile.

BTW, did a character get decapitated in this one? I ask because in each of De Bont's other films a character dies in this manner(Dennis Hopper in Speed; Cary Elwes driver in Twister; Owen Wilson in The Haunting). In all three, it's only shown for a second. Just wondering if this is a trademark nobody's noticed, yet...

8. Rob Cooper

Rob Cooper Stunt Coordinator

I quite like it. I often annoy my friends with my Willem Defoe impersonation.

"How do ya like your vacation so far?"

It helps that I'm a huge Sandra Bullock fan and she looks great in this one!

9. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou

10. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds

11. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

12. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

I enjoy it, I saw it 4 times in theaters, dragging everyone I knew, one by one, to their disappointment of course, and got the first and then the DTS DVD in a two-pack.
    I don't know why no one likes it, it's not worse than the first, about the same level of quality.
    And that A Namorada song with Bullock in a bikini is great indeed [​IMG]

13. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I think it's best summed up by Keanu Reeves, who upon reading the script, and turning the project down asked: "How fast does a boat go?"

The movie was just dull, without any real suspsense what-so-ever. Jason Patric is a bland, dull leading man. The supporting characters are similarly uninteresting and dull. It's just dull, dull, dull.

14. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
    I like it too. It's not great, but it's hardly the worst movie of all time. I also enjoyed the absurd, drawn-out climax.

15. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Didn't exactly enjoy it, but it was alright.

16. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Hated it here. It didn't help that when I saw it theatrically, I got motion sick from all the jerky camerawork, but I still thought it was a bad flick anyway. I didn't feel ill from the camerawork when I watched the DVD last year, but the movie itself seemed consistently weak. Good audio, decent picture, yucky movie...

17. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I'm not gonna thread-fart by commenting on how ridiculously bad I think this movie is...

...but now I'm curious: Was there a decapitation in Tomb Raider 2? [​IMG]

18. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Nope, I'd take Speed 2 over 1 any day of the week. I do remember a lot of people trashing 2 because they changed the lead from Reeves to Patric.

Glenn

19. Justin Hargis

Justin Hargis Stunt Coordinator

20. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

I too...dont understand why the movie gets dumped on...I saw it opening day and enjoyed it...I think I'll go get the DVD now..thanks for reminding me...plus...Jason Patric is one of the best actors of his generation IMO and ya cant beat Willem for a villian...