Who else here is a 3D Wireframe/Modeling nut?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett DiMichele, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

[​IMG]
    My latest dabble in modeling.
    I have run Metatools Bryce (what the above image was created
    with) and Caligari True Space for quite a few years now.
    I was curious if there are other 3D nuts on this forum and
    what software apps do you use?
    I do not have Caligari installed currently and Bryce3 is
    not a "modeler" (By thier own words) but you can still make
    some decent booleans with it.. You just can't spline paths
    or anything fancy like you can with TrueSpace. TS is the best
    wireframe/modeler/raytracer package that I have personaly
    used. Very easy to use GUI and very powerful tools.
    Lets see some of your work!

2. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp Agent

I'm planning on doing some game programming and need to learn how to creat 3d objects and animate them as well. Is there a program in particular out there that you recommend? I'm a total newbie, so, something that is newbie friendly would be nice. The only thing i've played with is "photo modeler" a free program from which you can take scanned images and convert it to a 3d model.

Cheers,

Tim knapp

3. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Tim,

I can recommend a few diffrent programs, unfortunatly none

of them are "easy" to use. Wireframing takes time and patience.

When you model anything you have to look at it from the

perspective that it is a real object. Think of how things

in the real world would influnce the item. For example when

you wireframe say an office building. You have to sit back

and think where all the lighting would be. You have to put

things where they would be in real life to acheive real world

results.

It's quite fun!

Some of the programs I use:

Fractal Poser (For doing people)

Caligari TrueSpace (for doing anything)

Metatools Bryce (For terraforming and simple modeling)

Then there are other popular programs that I don't have

much experiance with.

Lightwave

Ray Dream Studio

3DFX Max

Pov Ray (Ray Tracer)

4. Demetri K

Demetri K Stunt Coordinator

Acctually, My job is in Computer graphics. Basically I use, Maya, and 3d studio 4. To create textures it is photoshop. Maya is by far the best program I have ever used hands down. The learning curve is extremely high though!!

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Demetri,

Have you ever used TrueSpace? The newer variants (ver 3 and newer)

are fantastic modelers that have more functionality than

most other wireframing apps I have ever seen or used.

One example would be skinning and "Bones" with TS3 and newer

producing fully articulated mechanical or humanoid skeletal

structeres couldn't be easiter. And when you move one obj

all the others linked as bones can easily be posed.

It's a very nice app IMHO.

6. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

*** Updated Image *** Hit Refresh to display the newest
    rendering.
    Basicly I went through and made the CPU Die the appropriate
    dimensions, toyed with skins added PC Board underlying detail (pathways)
    and also added a reflective mirror plane and a clear glass
    plane under the CPU to show off the underside detail.
    I will still tinker around with the logo on the CPU die
    to get it a bit more authentic but this is basicly done.
    Whatcha think?

7. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

I've used quite a few modeling/animation packages throughout the years (older versions of TrueSpace, RayDream, Lightwave, and SoftImage/Irix), and most versions of Maya (Irix and NT) and 3D Studio Max.

My favorite (by far) is Maya, and I probably haven't used at least 70% of the features it offers. For texture work, Photoshop is my tool of choice, although Right Hemisphere's Deep Paint|3D is becoming a pretty nice tool.

PovRay really doesn't qualify as a modeling/animation tool, since it is strictly used for raytracing images. A better comparison would be between PovRay and Pixar's PRMan or Exluna's Entropy.

Tim -- if you're a total newbie, you should probably retarget your sights *quite* a bit lower. Real-time 3D programming requires a great deal of knowledge in a wide variety of fields (calculus, linear algebra, physics, art, and psychology, not to mention quite a bit of advanced computer science), and unless you approach programming (let alone game programming) one step at a time, you are facing an insurmountable task. Trying to learn both the programming and the content creation side of the business at once will quickly discourage you.

8. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Actually, 3D Studio Max is pretty easy to learn. But, just because the program is easy, dosn't mean your models will turn out perfect every time. You've got to have some art skill in you for that [​IMG].
    But, for those who are wanting to check out some of my stuff, http://www.ninjaturtlesnetwork.com has a small smattering of my stuff listed. Just follow the 3D Link in the menu bar. One of them is even in the image on the top. Considering I only had three months official instruction, and have been teaching myself for the last 3 years, I would like to think I've come pretty far through trial and error. Also, if you look at all of the files NOT listed in the 3D page by checking out the dir listing, you'll see the remainder 15 or so objects that I've worked on. I'm currently remodelling my 3D page with newer models, and some arn't finished yet.
    Speaking of wich, to the fellow 3D Studio Worker [​IMG]. Do you happen to have Character Studio? I can't afford it, I refuse to try warez, and apparently my trial period on my Max CD is over, because it asked me for a serial number I didn't have. I would like for you to setup a skeleton for four characters that I created using the biped feature. See, I want to create a Garfield like comic strip that's created entirley in 3D Studio Max, but I have no way to easilly pose these characters that are all made up of one object. And Moving them by Verticies messes up the model if, say, the arms of the characters where crossed..
    Any help will be appreciated if you, or someone you know can help out [​IMG]...

9. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

Brett -

Maya (+PRMan or Entropy for rendering) is the most popular package for high-end 3D modeling and animation, and if you watch the credits for most movies (or video games) that use lots of computer-generated effects, you'll probably see the Maya (or Alias|Wavefront) logo near the end.

A|W just started offering an educational version of Maya for free, and it includes (AFAIK) every feature in Maya Complete. It's a fantastic bargain -- Maya Complete used to sell for $8000.

10. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

AFAIK, the only limitation on Maya Educational vs. Maya Complete is that the educational version watermarks everything, so that you can't use anything you create in it professionally. There may also be limitations on the SDK and supported plug-ins; however, most (all) features of the base Maya Complete should be included (it was *major* news when A|W originally announced it).
    You can download Maya Personal Learning Edition (136M) from Alias|Wavefront's homepage (top link in the center column), www.aliaswavefront.com.
    edit: fixed url.

11. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

Forgot to comment on UI.

Maya's UI has a very steep learning curve -- I believe tutorials are included in the Educational version, but you'll probably want to pick up a book to guide you through your first few Maya projects, anyway. Once you get used to the UI, though, you'll be unstoppable.