Who else hates having their DVDs messed with?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Apr 23, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I went away overnight to my cousin's house Saturday and brought some of my movies with me. When I came home, someone had messed with my DVDs, mixing the snappers with the keepcases, moving them on different shelves, etc. I keep my snappers and keepcases seperate from each other, and keep the DVDs on certain shelves, and of course this got me a little mad, because I have a couple thousand dollars worth of DVDs. Is anyone else like me in regard to their DVDs?

2. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

im the same exact way. Im very anal about the organization of my collection. and I agree with keeping snappers separate from keepcases etc.

the one thing I cant stand to see is if Im at a friends..and he has a healthy collection..and have random jutting of dvds everywhere because snappers are poking out here and there..just makes the collection look like a mess.

(even if it truly is alphabetic ordering etc.)

I order my snappers alphabetically then all my keepcases alphabetically..also sorted by action, comedy, tv/other, etc.

(hey, it all makes sense to me.)

3. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

My collection is integrated and snappers peacefully co-exist with keepcases. Can't we all just get along?

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    My only grip is when I loan out a DVD and then I have to ask for it back months later.[​IMG]
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

5. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I hate lending out DVDs period. My cousin asked to borrow Dogma Sunday, and I said no because he's not careful with DVDs, especially when drunk(which he is often), and I knew I'd never see it again.

6. Greg Morse

Greg Morse Stunt Coordinator

ditto what Ron said. I've loaned 3 DVD's.

Highlander - lent to friend A, he in turn lent to friend B. Received it back 6 months later.

Your Friends and Neighbors - lent to friend C December 2000. Received it back March 2002.

Tailor of Panama - lent to friend A in December 2001. He hasn't watched it yet as of last week. I still have his 7 Days in May held hostage since January though.

My snappers, keepcases and the occasional Polygram disc destroyer exist in perfect alphabetic harmony.

7. Rain

Rain Producer

Yup, I get riled when someone messes with my alphabetization. I've had people come over and do this just to see if I'll notice. Damn, I hate that. [​IMG]

8. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

What's wrong with you people? I *LOVE* having my DVDs messed with!
    [​IMG]

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

10. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

My roomate borrows my DVDs without asking. They're all stacked in my room and since I work during the day (and he does not work), he just walks in and starts watching a film. When he's done, he places the DVD on top of the keepcase, on the floor (doesn't even bother to place it back inside). He did this with my OOP Criterion Dead Ringers recently and I about had a fit.

His Dr. Jekyll (ie: sober) side acknowledges my requests to ask before borrowing, and to put DVDs back. But his Mr. Hyde (ie: drunk) side forgets everything I ask.

He also consumes my soap, shampoo, vodka, etc... but that is way OT.

Joseph

11. AndyDL

AndyDL Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]
    This is too funny. I too seperate my snapper cases from my keepcases. Must be an HTF nut thing.
    Oh, and thanks all for reminding me about lending DVDs! I just realized that I let a cousin borrow my Eric Clapton DVD several months ago and haven't seen it since! [​IMG]
    Andy

12. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

I keep all of my cases together, alphabetical. I loan out my DVD's constantly to my friends here at work and only have one pain in the butt that thinks it's okay to keep them for WEEKS at a time. Anyone have a suggestion on how to tell him I don't really want to loan him any more DVD's because of his perpetual tardiness?

I have been lucky, nobody has ever lost or damaged a disc. But I am starting to get tired of being the local neighborhood Blockbuster.

13. Tim_Prasuhn

Tim_Prasuhn Stunt Coordinator

I am seriouslyt thinking about seperating my keepcases and the snapper cases. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of both the integrated and the seperated ways?

14. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

While I understand that your shelves may look better separating snappers from the rest, I wonder how large your collection is (for those of you who do that)?

I have over 250 discs (small compared to many here), and I can't imagine such an arbitrary classification. Imagine going to the library and having books sorted by size!

My discs are in two categories: films and TV series. Each is alphabetized by title. Given that many films can be categorized by multiple genres, I can't even see separating them that way.

I do, however, keep a database of all my discs, with as many as 3 genre listings for each title - so I can search by genre and get a more complete listing.

As for loaning discs... I only loan discs to people who are as anal as I am about their care. And I have a field in my database where I can indicate who borrowed what. I've been known to do fairly long-term swaps of a handful of titles with people before (several months), and this helps keep track of ownership.

-Scott

15. James Gonzalez

I keep mine organized alphabetically, but do separate music and special interest DVD's from the rest.

As far as lending goes, I do it with a select group of friends. Only once have I cut someone off. The reason I did is he came over to borrow about six DVD's. Three weeks later I was getting a little anxious about getting them back, some of these were Box sets like ALEIN and Sopranos season one. When I called him and said if I could drop by to pick them up he was very hesitant. It turns out that he no longer had them and had lent them out to one of his friends that could not be reached until several days later. He has NEVER asked to borrow anything since.

SMART guy!

James

16. MartinTeller

17. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I HATE it when people touch my DVDs. The other day, one of my friends took out my Jay and Silent Bob DISC 2 and proceeded to get his dirty little fingerprints all over it and kind of used a 'swirl' action to get it into the tray that made scratches all over it. Needless to say... I was a little pissed (hopefully it isn't damaged to the point that something won't play). Oh, and then he returned to the wrong place on the rack [​IMG] People have no respect for other people's posessions [​IMG]

18. MartinTeller

19. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

20. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    You are lucky they were all back on the shelf. I get upset when my DVD's are messed with but they end on all over the place, or even out of the case sometimes.