Who else has had it up to their ears with "reality tv"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Russell, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Steve Russell

Steve Russell Stunt Coordinator

Boy am I getting sick of "reality tv". I didn't even watch the first season of survivor. I thought the whole idea of these shows would die off after a year or so. Will people really do anything( including making fools of themselves) to be on tv? Is anybody else sick of it? It really doesn't take alot of talent to put a bunch of ordinary on camera and film them. I found the MTV series real world to be extremely annoying. Who watches crap like temptation island? I can't be the only one who hates it. How do these shows proliferate?

2. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

They proliferate because people watch them? Not you of course [​IMG] Which brings me to my question... if you dont watch them, how can you be sick of them? It's not that hard to ignore them completely, the only one that has had any major affect on the media for an extended time were both Survivor shows.
    Brian

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

What's a reality show?
    Is that another shot of Congressman Gary Condit walking down the steps?
    (Note my hometown)
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Bill Kane on July 23, 2001 at 10:47 PM]

4. Steve Russell

Okay, let me rephrase that. I'm sick of seeing ads for a new, pointless television show every time I turn around. Granted, alot of the channels I watch do not carry or advertise such drivel(history, history intl., discovery, learning, etc...) but I do like to watch some of the stuff on fox and fx and occasionally a network sit com. I guess I can't believe that people actually watch this stuff for more than one episode(or even that long). My dad watched survivor and tried to get me to watch it, I thought it was really stupid. Occasionally when surfing I would come across something like big brother or temptation island but could not stand watching it for more than about 5 minutes.

5. andrew markworthy

Further to what Steve has said, it's not that these programmes [sorry, programs] exist, but that we seem to get nothing but this sort of program at prime-time (yes, I know there are other programs shown, but it just seems like there aren't, okay?).
    The UK is going through a glut of reality TV as well, but it looks as if folks over here are getting bored with it. The second series of Big Brother is coming to a close without the same level of hype as the first time around, and Survivor flopped horribly badly over here.

6. ryan_m

ryan_m Stunt Coordinator

7. Steve Russell

Okay, now that I have vented some of my frustration and thought about it some more here are my thoughts. I guess survivor was an original idea(something that is hard to come by on tv today). My problem is with the lemming mentality that makes the networks create shows that go further and further. It is as if we have become so mind numbed that we need more and more excitement to entertain us. Do we really need to see more and more people enduring pain and humiliation for our own entertainment. Not to mention the type of people that will go on these shows of their own free will. One of the shows I mentioned earlier was Temptation Island. Of the small (usually 3-5 minutes long) portions that I saw, some of these people were putting themselves through emotional agony for millions of people to see. Why? I did not enjoy watching it, why would they want people to see it? I guess it comes down to this, what will people refuse to do for money and what will we refuse to watch.

8. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

Fear Factor is pretty cool.
    ------------------
    Andres
    http://members.aol.com/coolvirus/

9. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I've limited myself to Survivor. I used to watch Real World and Road Rules but as I am now 37 I am finding less interest in the 20 somethings MTV is casting (plus they are casting for conflict). I have never been able to watch more than 15 seconds of Big Brother (I'd just as soon watch Springer).
    Now that we in Seattle finally have the Food Network, if there is nothing on, I'll watch cooking shows.
    Are cooking shows "reality TV"?
    ------------------
    These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

10. Thomas D

Thomas D Stunt Coordinator

How do these shows proliferate?
    The writer's strike would have hit this coming television season. It was only natural for television shows without writers to come about. Game shows, "reality television", all those were facilitated by the writer's strike.
    The other part of it is the copy-cat syndrome: We saw this when Who Wants to Be a Millionaire started airing and became really popular. Suddenly, every other major network had their own "give away at least a million dollars" game show: Greed, 21, and that Dick Clark one. We're seeing the same thing with "reality tv" thanks to the success of Survivor.
    ------------------
    Support the Home Theater Forum -- Buy Something!

11. Peter Olausson

Peter Olausson Auditioning

I raise my hand.
    Sick and tired of all the shitty reality shows.
    We are going in for the kill this fall in Sweden with:
    *Survivor - But it´s called Robinson here.
    *the Bar - 12 ppl working in a bar
    *Meduza - 10 ppl living in a sunny place trying to get jobs and so on.
    *Temptation Island - will truly suck
    I think I´m forgetting something here but the TV will be dominated by these crappy shows.
    I can escape some of it by smurfing the net though [​IMG]

12. MickeS

MickeS Producer

13. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

History doesn't advertise reality programming? Interesting [​IMG]
    What I'm really tired of is Court shows. I'm home most afternoons now, and it's all that's on!
    Judge Judy
    Peoples Court
    Judge Hatchet
    Judge Joe Brown
    Judge Mills Lane
    Divorce Court
    Curtis Court
    Moral Court (have you seen this one??)
    Enough already! Show me Who's The Boss reruns or something.
    ------------------

14. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian

15. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I agree completely with you, Steve. I have not watch any of the Survivor series or any other reality shows. I watch TV to escape reality.

16. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

The funny thing is that a lot of these "reality" shows are fake as hell. I hate them all, sorry if anyone likes them but I find them annoying and a waste of programming space. Especially after watching an episode of that crap Spy TV. How dumb do these network execs think their viewers are?
    ------------------
    "I'd rather have 2 girls at 21 than 1 girl at 42." - W.C. Fields
    "One man's simple is another man's huh." - David Stone