What's new

Who else has an FYE store near them? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I was at the Red Sox game two Sundays ago (we got to run the bases and Papi stole second!!!), and while I didn't have time to hit Nuggets, I did drive by and it still seems to be going strong.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I believe the Hot Springs FYE is still open, about 50 miles from me. I often stopped there when I was in Hot Springs for something else, great store in my opinion. As far as prices, not much different than Hastings or Best Buy on new releases and there was always a good selection of used CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs. Hastings stores have been closing around Arkansas over the last few years, Fayetteville, Jonesboro and Jacksonville are a few I noticed had closed. I am pretty sure the Hot Springs FYE is the last FYE store in Arkansas.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ugh.

My world is closing in on me.

Thanks for the news, Adam. But, no thanks.

It's a shame, really. Certainly not a surprise. But a real shame.

I was in both FYEs recently.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ugh.

I wonder how much FYE makes from memberships -- both the membership fees, and the sales they get because members are incentivized to buy from them over other options. I can't imagine many people will keep their memberships if all of the stores either close or adopt the Crossgates model.

I was never a big FYE shopper like you; checking my database, I only have 19 titles that I can confirm were purchased there. But I always hate to see my local retail options shrink.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Ugh.

I'm in complete agreement on the impact of this turn of events -- as I have been all along. It's been several years now since we lost our local FYE (which had been very very good to me), and my recent quick peek into one in a nearby town was fairly sickening due to the changes you and Adam have been describing. What a waste.

Faber

Agent
Real Name
Josh
Yeah. Their USED stuff is also now interspersed among the new titles via genre. They have been one of the few places for a long time actively buying/re-selling used product. I've gotten GREAT deals there on titles I didn't buy on release date.

Shopping for USED Blu-rays used to be so easy...and so much fun. Now it's an absolute PITA (they're all hidden behind taller DVD cases jampacked into shelf units that are too small.

I forgot to mention I am a Backstage Pass member at FYE...but I can't see that continuing any more. That was a $25 annual fee to get a 10% discount on every purchase I made at the store. It always MORE than paid for itself.

They also had an active coupon//sale system via text message "30% off all used this weekend only"-type sales. They were stopped long ago. I asked reps if I needed to sign up again. They said, no, those promotions have just ended. :rolleyes:

Grumble...grumble...grumble...
I didn't really start going to FYE until a couple years ago, but the Backstage Pass is completely different. Now, it costs $12 per month and it provides discounts at other places like Omaha Steaks and Men's Wearhouse. Fortunately, though, they still have something just like the old Backstage Pass. It's called the Platinum Card and it costs $25 and it just gives you the 10% discount at FYE. Sure, you have to spend $250 to break even, but that's a lot better than having to spend $1440 to break even.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
We have two...one in each of our local (Albany, NY) malls.

However, one (in Colonie Center) has, basically, no media for sale. The other (in Crossgates Mall), still has a section of 4k/Blu/DVD/CDs (both new and used).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Surprised to find they still have over 200 locations open. All the Vermont locations closed long ago. My nearest locations now would be southern NH or Albany.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks