Who else doesn't use virus protection or a firewall?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott L, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Am I the only one? I have a 3 computer network on cable all the time and have never had a hacker problem. The makers of the virus software sound like everything on your HD will die if you don't have it. Well I did try it out once, Norton, and it just seemed like a lot of wasted resources. As for firewalls my router has that NAT security feature built in but I have nothing like Zonealarm or the sort.

I admit one time I had a virus some hacker kid made and I had to reformat and reload everything but it was really my fault as I opened an exe. But now I run an extra tight ship on my computers, having nothing in the systrays and don't install/open anything unless I know what it does.

Anyone else feel the same way?

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Hey .. 3 1/2 years online .... I haven't used a virus scanner for 2 years .... never a problem.

I only use internet mail which has helped.

I'm also only on the internet around 25 hours a month.

Brent

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Use a virus scanner that checks incoming email. Funny. I had one and the only time I turned it off I got a virus. Luckily rebooting to the floppy scanned and got rid of it. I use a firewall most of the time. Try a router.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Yep, and I never use condoms or wear a raincoat either. [​IMG]

6. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I don't use an antivirus program. Seemed to slow the system down too much.
    I use the built-in XP Firewall. Prior to XP, I used ZoneAlarm.
    I do occasionally scan for viruses, via housecall.antivirus.com. None so far. It's been more than 2.5 years this way.

I think the condom comparison is a bit extreme...

Todd

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

You are in fact using a firewall. That is what your router does. Since you use NAT, it is impossible for anyone to access your computers behind the router unless you specifically set the router up to forward the traffic (I'm talking about traffic that doesn't originate from inside the router now, traffic you request via the web for instance gets passed because the router sends that along).
    I wouldn't hesitate to call anyone who hooks an unprotected, installed out-of-the-box windows machine up to the Internet a fool - and a menace. These are the people who made the "code red" worm a plague on the network that persists even today, using up valuable bandwidth and cpu cycles that could have been used for something else entirely.
    Newsflash: you no longer need to open attachments for email viruses to mess your computer up completely. All you need do to is run a poorly patched Outlook or Outlook Express and receive the mail with the virus in and.... can you say "reformat the computer and reinstall", boys and girls? And I sure hope your backups are current...
    But hey, feel free to be as careless as you wish with your own security, despite that there are free software firewalls out there that are extremely non-invasive after an initial usage period when you answer questions about your traffic and free or virtually free antivirus software that has virtually no impact on system performance whatsoever... [​IMG]
    The problem however is that people who ignore the problem become part of it, when they run that "safe" program and suddenly have a backdoor on their computer they know nothing about; a backdoor that some script kiddie then uses in concert with the backdoors a couple hundred other careless users have installed to bombard one target computer system with traffic, locking their network connection up tight with crap, for example.
    Oh, and when you get a virus that attacks one of your systems in the network, the other machines are safe, right? BZZZT! Wrong-o! If you have any network shares, these things spread like a plague to the other systems on the network as well.
    But yeah, antivirus software is a complete waste of system resources... [​IMG]
    I work as a system administrator and the only thing that saved me from having my machine backdoored in that way was my firewall. I was in fact already running the backdoor and I know how unintrusively it installed itself, I didn't see a thing - until my firewall started asking if it should allow a connection to port 6667 on some IRC server that I knew nothing about.
    Needless to say I answered "no" (would have chosen "hell no" if it had been available) and found and excised that nasty critter from my system. Without the firewall however I would have most likely have had files stolen from my computer as well as having my computer used as a weapon against some other unsuspecting internet user.
    Software firewalls and antivirus software is a basic, simple precaution that anyone who is on the internet should use, period. If you are on a 24/7 broadband connection this is especially true.

8. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

By using internet mail and removing outlook express from my computer I covered about 99% of viruses.

You can't send a virus to people in my address book if I don't have one!

Brent

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I forwarded that same IRC port on my router. No problems ever.

10. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    A virus checker is a must. I have quarantined at least 50 viruses in the last few months alone and I know people that get a lot more than I do. All it takes is one malicious virus to change your opinion of a virus checker.

12. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

13. BrianB

BrianB Producer

AVG Anti Virus
    This is the antivirus software I use. Free for home users, free updates, very good etc. Can hook into Outlook etc if you need it.
    Zone Alarm
    Free firewall software - well known, thought I'd post the link in case anyone reading this thread doesn't know about it.

14. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

So out of all virus protection software available (free and retail), what would you all suggest for home and business users and why?

15. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

Virus technology has advanced just like all other technology. I also never used virus software... until last year when I was completely wiped, and had gotten so lax that I had no current backups of my files (off the network at least). It killed every box on my home network except my linux box. I am now a firm believer in using protection [​IMG]
    The machine that initially picked up the virus was never used for email (seems to be a common belief that this the only way you can get a virus, not anymore). I work, live and breath IT... I will never go without virus protection again.
    Now worrying about hackers is another thing. I do run a firewall... but just because it's a hardware one and not eating up resources. I highly doubt any hacker would be interested in anything on my boxes. But then again, a good friend of mine (who's a Unix admin) had his linux box at home hacked. They were attacking other boxes from his system. Yes, the authorities came to him first... and he had to go through a bit of bs with them until they figured out he had been hacked and was not the hacker.
    Just my 2cents, use it as you will... it's really a combination of how paranoid you are and if you mind clean installs :wink:
    Edit to answer the last question:
    I use McAfee Online... with always-on connect like broadband it's just a no-brainer, I don't even think about it. And if the resources that little tsr uses are too much for ya, it's time to worry about upgrading... not viruses!

16. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I didn't have a firewall/router until I decided to put more than one computer online at a time, and I didn't run with antivirus software till a little while after I bought my windows machine. Had nothing but macs before then and never got hit with anything or hacked into (even when I had my mac on the schools network for 5 years). The only attempted virus that I see come across these days is klez attempts. Maybe 1 or 2 a week. I hate running norton antivirus though. Its a horrible resource hog.

17. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

No to virus software ... but I have the ultimate defense. I use a Macintosh. [​IMG] I don't know how Windows users deal with it. What a pain.

18. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

19. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

20. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Nope, I just use a Mac. And yes, there are Mac viruses. They come out usually once every several years. and there are none yet for OS X. Makes things real simple, and saves on software costs to, makes for more DVDs [​IMG] .