What's new

Who doesn't need a little "Black Magic"? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I've watched Black Magic on Tubi twice, there are infrequent periods of heavy & light print damage but it's tough to correlate scenes with the trailer. I'm not sure if ClassicFlix is even using the same print as Tubi. I wish ClassicFlix would do the comparison for me.
I agree it would be nice, but sometimes to find the answer you have to dig a little!! ;)

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
I've watched Black Magic on Tubi twice, there are infrequent periods of heavy & light print damage but it's tough to correlate scenes with the trailer. I'm not sure if ClassicFlix is even using the same print as Tubi. I wish ClassicFlix would do the comparison for me.
Thanks for asking. We don't do comparisons for all our releases, and we won't be doing one for MAGIC.

Our restoration of MAGIC on BD & DVD is the best presentation anyone can view at this time, although it may later be available via other platforms.

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Thanks for asking. We don't do comparisons for all our releases, and we won't be doing one for MAGIC.

Our restoration of MAGIC on BD & DVD is the best presentation anyone can view at this time, although it may later be available via other platforms.

- David
Hi David, thanks for the reply. I would assume comparisons (plus assurances of the use of known best surviving elements) would help sell discs?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hi David, thanks for the reply. I would assume comparisons (plus assurances of the use of known best surviving elements) would help sell discs?
For the market of folks interested in this movie, I wouldn't think any comparison feature would sway them one way or another. If they want the best presentation of the film, here it is. Plus extra features cost extra money, adding production cost on a title that's likely to have modest sales.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
For the market of folks interested in this movie, I wouldn't think any comparison feature would sway them one way or another. If they want the best presentation of the film, here it is. Plus extra features cost extra money, adding production cost on a title that's likely to have modest sales.

I sometimes watch restoration comparisons out of simple curiosity or to whet my appetite. I can't think of a single instance, though, where watching the comparison changed my mind about buying a release. I certainly never watch them if they are presented as an extra on the disc, so they are a waste of disc space as far as I'm concerned.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I sometimes watch restoration comparisons out of simple curiosity or to whet my appetite. I can't think of a single instance, though, where watching the comparison changed my mind about buying a release. I certainly never watch them if they are presented as an extra on the disc, so they are a waste of disc space as far as I'm concerned.
The one thing for me, when I watch a comparison study is that it shows me the materials that they had to work with and what they were able to accomplish. Of course if all the film elements were perfect, as in the case with "The Court Jester", very little restoration was needed. But on some projects thery were not that lucky. And after years of watching and owning mediocure copies fo the title, I appreciate the comparison study. It's nice to see the hard work that went into the current offering by that company. perfect example are the "Our Gang Comedies", being restored by Classic Flicks...sometimes you need to see what was, to see how beautiful the end results are...but that's just me!! ;)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

- David
Thanks so much David, to you and yout team of miricle workers!!!
Well my BRD edotion finally showed up on the second of Feb...once my work was out of the way a sat down and dropped it into my Sony. Being as this is one of my all time favorites, and the fact that almost all of the copies I owned over the years were Worthless to view...I give you my take on the edition from Classic Flicks - Knowing the uphill battle they had, in restoring this film, I was thrilled to watch and noticed how clean and balenced the images were and the sound was on point!! Was it perfect, no...but I must say that they did an amazing job with the film and sound elments that they had to work with.
There were instances where you could see the areas being compensated, leaving slightly brighter areas than should have been. But these were minor, and the majority of the film was beautifully balenced and contrast was spot on ( less the minor imperfections), again given the issues associated with this title, Classic Flicks did an amazing job. I saw the review that one person gave and his history with this title may not have been as exstensive as myself. Perfection a road not a destination. * given the circumstances
Audio 4.8* out of 5
Image 4-4.5* out of 5
Improvment over previous edtions - Oh Hell Yes!!!! Hands Down the best edition to date!!
enjoyment factor 6 out of 5

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks