What's new

Who doesn't need a little "Black Magic"? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
When I was a kid back in the 60s, I remember watching this aluring movie, I knew it had Orson Welles in the lead and the soundtrack was amazing. Taken from the novel by Alexander Dumas ( 3 Musketters, Man in the Iron Mask and Count of Monte Cristo ) but couldn't remember the title...years later I see it on TMC and everything clicked into place. Now I was on the hunt!!! The problem was that for years no DVD copies were available, and finally having to buy a "Burned Copy" on DVD from a organic sosurce. Because the imagry and lighting in the film are so dark, this copy was almost unwatchable, but at least I had it!! Then I caught wind of a remastered release from Hens Tooth Productions. And for the first time could actually see and hear the movie I saw a kid!!
I am really excited to hear that Kino is giving it an even better remastering and all from original film and sound elements. Has anyone searched out any updated info or have insight into this release?

Attachments

• 41MtmCtD1jL.jpg
    41MtmCtD1jL.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 66
  • blackmagic_longlivecagliostro_FC_470x264_041520160610.jpg
    blackmagic_longlivecagliostro_FC_470x264_041520160610.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 73
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 61
  • -methode-times-prod-web-bin-d4e7c166-9a5a-11e8-be18-9b68e74f878e.jpg
    -methode-times-prod-web-bin-d4e7c166-9a5a-11e8-be18-9b68e74f878e.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 82

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
There was a Superman comic that was published about the time this film was released that had Orson Welles finishing this movie and then finding out that Martians are invading the earth. Of course due to "The War of The Worlds" radio broadcast 11 years earlier no one believes him except Superman.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
There was a Superman comic that was published about the time this film was released that had Orson Welles finishing this movie and then finding out that Martians are invading the earth. Of course due to "The War of The Worlds" radio broadcast 11 years earlier no one believes him except Superman.
nice!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
This role for Orson was as dark as his role in Jane Eyre. Here though, he is so broken that he trusts no one, loves no one...even those thst are part of his life and want to protect him. Until he sees a plan to get revenge on the one that killed his parents, and falls for the very one he is attmpting to be the bait for his skims!! The Musical Soundtrake is so haunting, it still sticks with me, even today!! This type of pairing overt music with the movies dark visuals reminds me alott of Invaders from Mars in 1953.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I hope Classic Fliks can deliver a quality edition, better than Hens tooths Edition...Coming Jan 25th, they say!!

Attachments

• 81M4Ip2sjnL._SY445_.jpg
    81M4Ip2sjnL._SY445_.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 60
  • images-4.jpeg
    images-4.jpeg
    4.9 KB · Views: 59
  • images-3.jpeg
    images-3.jpeg
    9.3 KB · Views: 62
  • images-2.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 59
  • images-5.jpeg
    images-5.jpeg
    4.2 KB · Views: 59
  • images-6.jpeg
    images-6.jpeg
    7.8 KB · Views: 54
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6.2 KB · Views: 63
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 53

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer
Thanks David, I am so looking forward to this one!!! This had to be a dificult project, and I hope you were able to use quality source elements on this project. Because it is so dark visually, making adjustments with in the gray scale is a major task!! And to be able to enhance the audio for the dialog and musical soundtrack is almost as monumental a task as the visuals are.
Thanks so much for taking it on and I can't wait to grab my copy for my collection and to be able to review it!! If you ever need my help, please don't hesitate to ask. You guys do a wonderful product and I can readily see the level of comitment that you and your crew display with every release!! Good On ya!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
it's just that they keep pushing back the release date. It was to be released on Halloween, now it's 1/25/22. I'm willing to wait, and I'm hoping for the best, They do have a decent track record and have produced many quality editions!!
It's in the closing stages and should ship on time.

The restoration will look phenomenal, but I want to let you know there are issues with this that cannot be repaired such as warping (mostly in the beginning) and occasional severe damage. Those sections/frames make up a relatively small part of the film and shouldn't detract from the overall enjoyment.

- David

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
It's in the closing stages and should ship on time.

The restoration will look phenomenal, but I want to let you know there are issues with this that cannot be repaired such as warping (mostly in the beginning) and occasional severe damage. Those sections/frames make up a relatively small part of the film and shouldn't detract from the overall enjoyment.

- David
Thanks David, I look froward to viewing your remastered version. The last crew to attemt this film was Hens Tooth and they did a fair job, not knowing what film elements they had to work with, was head and shoulders over the unwatchable 3rd 4th and 5th gen burned copies I originally had!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Out tomorrow, we've posted a custom trailer for our restoration of the 1949 Orson Welles starrer Black Magic.

ENJOY!

- David

David, you have made me a happy man!!! The trailer is beyond pristine, it makes the Hen's Tooth release look sad. I can't wait to sit down with one of favorites films and see the amazing results you and your team of miracle workers have done with this classic film!! Kudos David!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Hi David, is there a reason why ClassicFlix has not published a restoration comparison video?
Trevor, go on youtube and compair CF trailer with any of the other YT offerings of this title...BIG Difference!!

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Trevor, go on youtube and compair CF trailer with any of the other YT offerings of this title...BIG Difference!!
I've watched Black Magic on Tubi twice, there are infrequent periods of heavy & light print damage but it's tough to correlate scenes with the trailer. I'm not sure if ClassicFlix is even using the same print as Tubi. I wish ClassicFlix would do the comparison for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks