Who does this (with their 2 dvd disc sets)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Erwin, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

I may be the only one, but just out of curiosity, who switches the dvds when they buy the movie? It seems that every movie that comes out has the main movie in the page insert and the bonus disc in the main hub. I don't why, but I switch them everytime. Yes, I know. It's a very stupid topic, but I was just wondering.[​IMG]

2. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

I do this too, every time. I like to see the movie disc in the proper case hub, and the bonus disc in the flimsy plastic extra tab.

I know, I need help. :b

3. Greg Black

Greg Black Second Unit

Heh, I knew what your post was going to be before I even clicked on the thread.

Yes, I do that as well. I started when my copy of T2: Ultimate Edition got cracked because the disc was not completely pushed onto the hub of the "plastic page."

4. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

Right with you Erwin. The movie deserves the proper hub!!

5. Never thought of that...

But, I do actively replace half-size swing trays & triangle hubs.

Swap them out with cases that have full-size swing trays & circular hubs.

In most cases (no pun intended), I've found that the swing tray disc is more protected.

When opening cases, I've often found that the back hub has been depressed by the swing tray.

As a result, the hub catch is often half-popped and pressing on the interior rim of the disc.

Long story short, I prefer to leave the movie in a quality swing tray.

6. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I switch too. [​IMG]

7. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

I switch them around too. Seriously after I watch the extra disc I'll probably never watch it again. So changing them is just a habit now, esp. if they are the ones with hard clip in them.

8. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

2-disc sets suck.

9. Dave GR

Dave GR Stunt Coordinator

Same here. I always switch 'em, as soon as I unwrap the DVD. Thought it was a bit geeky of me, but hey, I don't feel so bad now.[​IMG]

10. DougWright

DougWright Stunt Coordinator

Count me in on the list of people needing help.

11. Robin_B

Robin_B Stunt Coordinator

Me too.

I'm feel a little embarassed about bringing up subjects like this. Another one I was going to bring up was this new thing with the two locking tabs that they put on a lot of new amaray cases. Whats with that? did they get a lot of complaints from people saying "the DVD case just came open all by itself and the disc shot across the room". Trouble is I don't know whether to break them off or leave them.

12. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

who here takes the double-wides and puts them into the slim 2 disc keepcases, with the swing tray?
    I do for space and aesthetics-
    Sometimes you can fit the cover insert in with little or no cutting at all.

I think the companies that do this want to make you think youre getting "more" for your money.

Criterion still does this, but at times it can be excused by the very thick booklets included (KAGEMUSHA)
    But other titles it seems a waste-I like the double slimline keepcases.

13. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

Me too. In fact, I just did it with the 33'King Kong'DVD about an hour ago.

14. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

15. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I keep it the same, unless it's one of those weird Amarays (like those used for the 2-disc Shrek, Minority Report, A.I., and Monsters Inc.). For those, I'll put the first disc on the hub on the case and put the extras disc on the flap.

16. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I can't say that I do this, but what I do do, and consider it common proceedure with every dvd I buy, is...

1. Remove the rectangular black security sticker inside.

2. Turn the liner notes around (if necessary) so that the chapter stops list is facing me when I open the case (if the chapter list is provided that is). I figure, if the artwork on both the cover and the insert are the same, I want to shake things up a bit when I open the case and see something different. :b

3. Break off those annoying extra plastic clamps that some dvd cases have now. I hate them, next thing you know, they'll be putting tiny little combination locks on dvd cases. [​IMG]

4. Make sure that the artwork insert is straight inside the plastic sleeve with no paper sticking out of the top or bottom.

and finally...

5. Spin the dvd or dvd's so that the title is perfectly straight across before I close the case up. Yes, I realize that they spin around when you move the case, but it's just something I do. :b

17. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

I like flicking the disc tray to much to do anything about it.

Ryan

18. dave bula

dave bula Stunt Coordinator

Do you mean Keep Cases? Or is that the same thing as Amaray? I've only seen the term Amaray used in describing the 2-disc Keep Cases that contain a swinging tray for the first disk. Maybe Amaray means all Keep Cases, including single discers, and I just never knew that.

Anyway, I have no idea for sure why they started using those 2 tabs on the sides of Keep Cases, but I've always kinda figured that it was still another "security device." In addition to the magentic things inside and all theose tapes around the outside edges. Kinda makes me think of the old Saturday Night Live bit about the over-the-counter medicine called "Tryopenin." [​IMG]

19. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

Ok, you guys give me some relief [​IMG]

I don't know why they do this, but I only like for this reason: my son or daughter like to hold their cases when they watch one of their movies and these tabs keep 2-4 year olds from opening the case. I am sure that's not the reason for these tabs though.