What's new

Who do you think deserves an honorary Oscar? (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
After reading the thread on Peter O'Toole, this question came to mind. Who do you feel has been overlooked and deserves to be honored by the Academy? For me, a person was brought up in the O'Toole thread that I think merits an award; Richard Widmark.

If he was 20 years older and retired, I would have voted for Martin Scorcese.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Here's a list of people I think the Acadamy should seriously consider eventually giving special Oscars to...

Mel Brooks

Ossie Davis

Ruby Dee

Richard Donner

Albert Finney

Harrison Ford

Morgan Freeman

Christopher Lee

Spike Lee

Jerry Lewis

George Lucas

Richard Widmark

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
In all seriousness...me. Or you. Or maybe you. Or anyone here.

It might sound cheesy, but filmGOERS have driven the industry since it's inception, and our patience and time should be recognized by the folks whose bills are paid by us. Have Bruce Campbell accept for us, and I'll be happy with that. It's a participatory art form.

Take care,
Chuck

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I never looked at the honorary/life time achievement awards as a compensation to those who have won no Oscars. I'm certainly not against it, but the track record exactly support that, either. Kazan, Redford, Poiter, Cardiff, these men have all won before. If anything, it seems like the honorary award is most suited for those who have achieved enormously in the world of film or those who are somewhat unacknowledged as greats. I personally would love to see several "getting up there" in age film composers to receive an honorary award; they have been neglected far too long.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think that it's better to induct people into a Hall of Fame than give them an annual award. Unless they keep winning them (ala Jack Nicholson or Tom Hanks).

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'll go with the great Christopher Lee, he's probably made more films (over 200) than any other actor in history, 50 years ago he was duelling with Burt Lancaster in 'The Crimson Pirate', the greatest Dracula of them all, a horror genre legend, Lee is 80 years old now, still making movies and more popular than ever.:) :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Has Kirk Douglas been awarded an Honorary Oscar, if not then he along with Widmark are excellent candidates.

Crawdaddy

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
How about Sidney Lumet? Nominated five times (12 Angry Men, Dog Day Afternoon, Network, Prince of the City, The Verdict)

Or maybe Roger Corman? I'll grant that his directing and producing work is often aimed at a different audience than the Academy normally celebrates, but his eye for talent and his support for new filmmakers is legendary.

Janet Leigh, Debbie Reynolds, Doris Day, Lauren Bacall - all nominated once and not getting any younger.

Both Albert Finney (5 nominations) and Peter O'Toole (7 nominations) are obvious choices, but they are also both still working and fully capable of earning one.

Brad

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Oh wait. He won for The Deer Hunter I believe.

Well he's due for another one, plus the Academy could institute an all-new World's Coolest Actor award and give it to him every year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks