What's new

who did Hallmark sell the Filmation library to? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i've seen a Warner card on some Filmation titles showing up on TVland- do they also own the rights for dvd sales?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
If Warner obtained Hallmark's Filmation titles, look out. They'll become even more dominant in the years to follow. I know Rhino was looking into acquiring some Filmation titles (Masters of the Universe, Filmation Ghost Busters, etc.) because they took a survey about it, but if you've seen the Warner card flashing, it might have been them. Maybe we can ask Warner themselves on Monday (someone other than me will have to burn a question on that -- sorry!). :D

What Filmation shows have been airing on TV Land? Do they show cartoons on there now?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i know Shazam carries the Warner Bros TV distribution credit.
(i was hoping to see Isis or Shazam show up on dvd, but i realize this is a longhot no matter who owns it)
wouldn'nt mind seeing the old filmation superhero cartoons from the sixties...in fact i really flip if those were announced.
with Ted Baxter doing the V.O.'s :)

TomJC

Grip
New Line is currently developing a Shazam! feature film. If it actually happens, I'd say there's a good chance that at least some of the episodes of the old TV show would start appearing on DVD, especially if Warner does have the rights.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I COULD be wrong, but, some of these Filmation shows have just reverted back to the original rights holders. Star Trek animated seems to be seen only because Paramount owns Trek. I thought the same might be true with Shazam! I have not seen any other Filmation shows in years that is owned outright by Filmation.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Filmation is cheap animation but I liked the Flash Gordon animated series they did back in the early 80's

todd s

Senior HTF Member
They also owned the rights to 70's Saturday morning live action show ARK II. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I think WB got SHAZAM through their ownership of DC comics, and there were some very early feature-length animated films made by Filmation in conjunction with WB that they thus own.

While they still work through Artisan, I suspect Hallmark's rights to the Filmation library are still active. IIRC, their name is on the packaging for Time/Life's mail-order-only DVDs of the FAT ALBERT series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks