Who can't stand Baldo (comic strip)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Kleist, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I read this strip, and it seems to be virtually corporate manufactured to be "ethnic". Not only that, but it's specifically designed only to appeal to the southern California hispanic (the whole "low rider" obsession) etc. I can't stand the constant pointless use of terms like "Tia".

Maybe I'm too picky, maybe it does really appeal to hispanic people

The Boondocks is a strip that while being full of hilarious biting satire is "black" without screaming "HEY! I'M A STRIP ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE! LOOK HOW BLACK I AM!" It maintains a specific cultural identity without making it cloying or overbearing.

Opinions?

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

3. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

Blado is pretty blah, but then again, so has pretty much everything since Calvin & Hobbes stopped (IMO).

Andrej

4. Jeff Kleist

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I live in a part of CA that is at least 50% Hispanic and really enjoy Baldo and have learned a lot about Mexican-Hispanic culture from it.

The strip I love to hate is Sally Forth--the husband is such an androgynous wuss it's sickening, and Sally always shoots him down in flames whenever he wants to buy anything like a bigscreen tv, dvd player, or surround sound.

And why are Marmaduke and Family Circus still around?

6. Jeff Kleist

Now that Andy Capp is gone, the real targets of my "must die" strips are Family Circus and Prince Valiant

However, Baldo is the next on the list

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Sorry, but I gotta agree... Baldo is CRAP [​IMG]
    My faves: Zits, Mother Goose and Grimm, Blondie and Foxtrot. Dilbert is also my off and on favorite (recently, it is becoming better and better).
    I think that the really weird thing about Sally Forth is that the artist always seems to give her the same damn smile at the end of every stip [​IMG]
    Strips that need to go:
    Garfield (I think Jim Davis has run out of good ideas, it just hasn't entertained me for years).
    Family Circus (ahh!)
    Non Sequitor (I just... don't, get it.)
    [​IMG]

8. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I'm surprised a nondescript strip like "Baldo" raises such ire. I mean, it's kinda just there. Nothing much to get excited about either way, like most of the stuff on the funny papers these days.
    My favorite current strips:
    • "For Better Or For Worse" - Lynn Johnson's long-running strip is, I believe, unique in that it has followed a family that has grown along with its readers. The gentle yet genuine humor in this strip is all too rare these days. This is a genuine classic, one of the best of all time.
    • "Foxtrot" - Probably the most consistently funny strip going. Bill Amend does pop culture better than anyone else, and his alpha geek Jason Fox is one of the two best characters on the funny pages these days.
    • "Dilbert" - Still funny after all these years, Scott Adams has this gig down pat. By encouraging his downtrodden readers to send in their own experiences in the Hell called "corporate America", he's ensured of an endless stream of ideas.
    • "Get Fuzzy" - The best new strip going. The furry, nasty, narcissistic, clueless Bucky Katt is the other best character on the funny pages today. Great subversive humor.
    • "The Piranha Club" - B.O. Grace has filled his strip with characters who are mean, or stupid, or ugly, or greedy, or any combination of the above. And it's brutally funny.
    • "Heart Of The City" - I've really started to like this one, mainly because of the recent focus on the Dean character, who is a geek in training (and obviously a future HTF member). His recent dream conversation with George Lucas spoke for Star Wars fans everywhere.
    Coulda been a contender - "Mutts". At the beginning it seemed like a classic, but lately it too often becomes unbearably preachy.
    My favorite strips of all time are no surprise: "Peanuts" and "Calvin & Hobbes". Charles Schultz & Bill Watterson elevated the comic strip to an art form.
    The strangest thing I have noticed about the comics today:
    What do all of these strips have in common: "Luann", "Sally Forth", "9 Chickweed Lane", "Rose Is Rose", "Heart Of The City", "Shirley & Son"? They all feature women or girls as the primary characters, and are mostly told from the point-of-view of these female characters.
    What else do they have in common? They're all written & drawn by men!!
    What's up with that????

9. Jeff Kleist

Heart of the City is done by Mark Tatulli, whose previous strip was "Bent Halos"
    He was kind enough to send me some of his original pencil artwork for several strips that had run (at the time)recently
    I also have a Beetle Bailey sketch by Mort Walker and Jump Start by Robb Armstrong [​IMG]
    Garfield has run out of ideas a long time ago, it hasn't been funny in a decade. I call this "Peanuts syndrome", where the strip has gone on so long that it's on autopilot. I'm loving the Peanuts repeats, because this is the good stuff.
    Dennis the Menace is more interesting now since Ketcham died and Dennis was allowed to move mostly into the modern age [​IMG]

10. Ryan Donovan

Ryan Donovan Stunt Coordinator

I've just read a couple of Baldo strips, and yeah, it is pretty bland. A bit too quick to delve into the family sterotypes, or just be "cutesy"...eh. Like Craig said, it's nothing to really be hot or cold about. Just another strip that exists for no reason, casting a bright light on all the truly original ones.

Heheh. Garfield, you lasagna loving furball, will you EVER give Odie a break...?

11. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Nothing's seemed nearly as funny to me since Berke Breathed stopped penning "Bloom County".

12. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

I know we were discussing something similar over in this thread earlier this week. Man, how these threads fly off into never-neverland.

13. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

I can't say I'm a fan of Baldo myself.

The two strips I enjoy reading currently are:

1. The Boondocks - I really enjoy the 'playa' Riley and his relationship with his brother Huey.

2. Get Fuzzy

14. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    isnt' nancy the worst of all. it hasnt been funny since Guy and Brad Gilchrist took over many years ago.
    click that link and fund one that is even a little amusing.
    also my favs were
    bloom county
    arnold(not the cartoon but an old strip)
    calvin and hobbs
    foxtrot
    zits

15. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

16. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I highly recommend Get Fuzzy. People who live with cats should recognize the attitude immediately.
    [​IMG]
    There are currently two collections in bookstores:
    Get Fuzzy: House Rule #4 - The Dog is Not a Toy
    Get Fuzzy 2: Fuzzy Logic

I would first get rid of anything by Mel Lazarus (Miss Peach, Momma, etc.) All are poorly drawn and unfunny.

17. Jeff Kleist

Craig, is that 4 full pages of comics on a daily basis?
    If so, time to get a subscription [​IMG]
    That's why I don't get the NY Times. I can't trust a paper w/o a comics page

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
  19. Jeff Kleist

yeah, but it's not the same [​IMG]
    Newsprint is the only TRUE way to read comics [​IMG]

20. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

So have we now officially gone OPM -original printed medium? [​IMG]