What's new

who can translate Swedish review of LOTR , Region 2? (1 Viewer)

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
I found 2 swedish reviews of the 4 disc version. Unfortunately I cannot understand Swedish. One of the reviews seems to compare the picture quality PAL versus Region 1, the other seems to compare the soundtrack quality. Can anybody here translate those sentences dealing with the comparison? This would be interesting for those of us like me who want to chose the best version worldwide. Extras are the same anyway, so it is down to picture and sound quality.
here are the links:
http://www.minhembio.com/recension.a...=7391772368737
and
http://www.dvdforum.nu/recensioner/v...on.asp?id=1303
Any help would be appreciated!

Claes Ljunghorn

Stunt Coordinator
Both reviews say that the sound still is slightly better in the short R1 version than on the long R2, but is better than on the earlier R2 PAL DVD of the short version, and that there is almost no difference between DD and DTS on the R2 disc's of the long version. The sound has been pitch-corrected because of speed-up from 24 to 25 fps.

One of the reviewers (DVD forum) points out that the picture is slightly better in the PAL R2 version than NTSC R1 (because it is PAL) and is near reference Quality.

/Claes

ErikHansen

Auditioning
Hi, I live en Denmark so I understand both Norwegian and Sweedish.
I have read both the reviews you mention and specifically what the say about image- and soundquality.
The first reviewer states the following:
Image:
Still fantastic and almost referencequality. For a review of the image (which is the same as the original version) see the review of that one.
What should be mentioned though is that the integration of the new and extended scenes has been done seemlesly and is very well done.
Audio:
When the previuos version came out, a wild discussion broke out about the audio of the R2 version being poorer than the R1. The moviedistributor said that this was not the case and that the volume by definition gets lower when a conversion from R1 is done.
Here they have turned up the volume and adjusted the pitch so the difference is neglitable when comparing it to R1.
Still the R1 feels abit faster and tighter when it comes to the bass but the difference is very slight and not something that distracts or is noticeable.
This version has, like the previous one, a Dolby Digital 5.1EX and a Dolby Pro-Logic track but also a DTS ES Dicrete 6.1 track.
After this the reviewer speaks of the difference between the Dolby and the DTS tracks and that he doesn't there is any noticable difference between them.
The other reviewer (at www.dvdforum.nu) this about the image:
(I'm summing up in this review because I don't have much time but if you need a complete translation, let me know and IO will do it for you tomorrow)
The image is great and the reviewer is of the oppinion that the PAL image is more detailed and has more stable colors.
Audio:
This reviewer is of the oppinion that the audio "problems" of the Original release has been dealt with to some extend in this release. And that he cannot distinguish any difference between the Dolby and the DTS sound tracks.
Now for my two cents ;)
I have read in several places that the image quality of the R1 version is slightly better on the new release compared to the august release (which in my hones oppinion is close to perfect) and that the DTS track (on the R1 version) is an improvement on the already magnificent Dolby track.
I won both the R1 and R2 version of the august release and after doing extensive comparisons I must conclude the opposite of the reviews youu are mentioning. I think the R1 version has a sharper and more defined image than the R2 version and the audio is MUCH better on the R1. There are scenes (when they fight the cave troll for example) where it is as if some of the audio simple disappears on the R2 version.
I know this is not the Extended version I'm talking about here but after reading other peoples reviews I think the same differences apply.
For a more detailed comparison of the two versions please go to this great R4 site (the R4 and R2 versions are identical in picture and sound).
http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews...?ReviewID=1715
(halfway through the review there is a very detailed comparison of the PAL and NTSC versions of the film)
Hope this helps,

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
"...The sound has been pitch-corrected because of speed-up from 24 to 25 fps..."
...and we know this because...?... I mean: does it say so in the accompanying Leaflet/Booklet, if any? ... is this explained or confirmed in the Commentary ... or anywhere else in the many Extras? ... or is it just something the reviewer(s) say and us poor saps have to accept as Gospel Truth...?...
Concerned DVD- and, especially, LOTR-Fans want, nay need to know...
(signed) Skeptical Reader
. . . :frowning: . . .

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
We know the 2-disc version was pitch-corrected, at least that is what we were told by the different producers and distributors of these discs when the long discussion of the difference in audio level and possibly quality started. AFAIK and remember it turned out the R1 track was compressed and thus sounded louder (but not necessarily 'better'), and the R2 track was pitch corrected but otherwise truer to the original. This quote is from a mail from New Line to the swedish distributor (SF)

. This conversion and correction was performed by our vendor using a TC 6000 processor. During the conversion, the levels of the original printmaster were lowered by 5dB, in order to prevent digital clipping and dropouts.

2. Additionally, Dolby recommends dialogue normalization during AC3 encoding to be set at -27dB, while domestically, our vendor used a setting of -31dB. The AC3 encoding for the PAL territories was set at the Dolby recommended -27dB.

2. The above two points account for a difference of 9dB between the region 1 and region 2 DVDs.

3. For the November release of the Special Extended DVD Edition, the dialogue normalization will be set at -31 for all regions.

4. The NTSC to PAL conversion still requires us to lower the overall level of the mix by -3dB, to avoid complete audio dropouts.

5. The total difference in levels for the Extended Edition will be only -3dB, a much less noticeable difference for our consumer.

With the help of the best sound facilities and manufacturers in the field, we hope to continue to improve the process of time compression and pitch correction. It is always our intention to provide the highest quality DVD picture and sound possible for all regions.

Kind Regards,

Rob Remley
Senior Vice President, Marketing and Distribution
So, according to this mail, the extended version will also be pitch corrected "we hope to continue to improve the process of time compression and pitch correction.".

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...ok... skeptical no longer... thank you very much for sharing this detailed information - which I'll copy and store and quote whenever some R2 viewer starts to gripe about 'helium voices' on this particular R2 release!
. . . :D . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks