What's new

Who can solve this problem? (1 Viewer)

mark campbell

Auditioning
After my faithfil JVC Amp (60 watts x 2 channel) stopped working a couple years ago I bought a Sony str de-485 receiver Amp (80 watts x 5)for future home theatre. I was very surprised at the Sony when I got it home through 2 speakers, it lacked the punch and kick of my old JVC amp. It has very poor bass and I thought maybe it was because I had no subwoofer connected just my same faithful JBL speakers that I had always used. Another thing, I can turn the Sony all the way up, its loud.. but doesnt overload the speakers. I have tried all the settings even "small" and "large "speaker settings etc.I could never even get close to half volume with the old JVC it really cranked.(Speakers are rated at 100W.)
What's wrong with Sony? I took a might step backwood in upgrading my Amp as far as sound quality goes...I did'nt know any better back then. I now have just built a dedicated home theatre 13ft x 20ft. I also now have just bought a PSB subwoofer which helps the sound drammatically!.Today my son brought his 15 year old Pioneer 2 channel Amp over and we hooked it up to my speakers...wow...back to the good old days, punchy bass hardly even need that awesome sub. What am I missing? Is all Sony bad these days it used to be top of the line?
We played War of the worlds through both amps, world of difference!!...Sony lacks mid range and bass even after Eq fiddles, old pioneer sounds amazing, awesome even without sub!!!!
What am I missing? Can anyone suggest a good receiver Amp that will suit both movies 30% and music 70%?
Thanks for reading this please reply if you have any suggestions for me.
Cheers
Mark

SethH

Senior HTF Member
The Sony DE series is notoriously bad. About the volume, many lower end receivers are rated 80w per channel at 1KHz, where better receivers are rated at XX watts per channel 20Hz-20KHz.

If you're looking for a relatively inexpensive receiver that will give you your power back, then consider a refurbished H/K receiver off ebay. H/K sells them directly with a warranty. An H/K rated at 60 watts per channel will likely produce more volume than your current Sony.

If you've got a little more budget you should consider Denon and Yamaha as well.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
mark, the speakers ought to be set to LARGE if you have't connected a sub, and is the subwoofer set to OFF or NONE?

it's probably as bad as SethH says, but a wrong setting doesn't help.

toddLE

Auditioning
Don't give up on Sony. You should listen to the ES line. I owened the STR-D5000ES. And also The 4ES they were awsome receivers.

Todd

mark campbell

Auditioning
Thanks for replies so far...yes speakers were set to "large"..doesnt make much difference. On full volume it is loud enough, but I have never owned an amp that you can turn to MAX. Volume. The volume is OK for my small room, its mainly the lack of bass..and when I compared it to the older Amp the Sony really lost badly!
Cheers
Mark

StevieP

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

Yes there are some settings that can help...and It is important to turn the sub off in the setup menu if you are not using it...otherwise the bass freqs will be trying to go out he sub out....

You might also try setting the mains to large, and the surrounds to small or No at the same time the sub is set to No when listening to 2 channel.

It also does not help that you have about the bottom...of the bottom line Sony "DE" series surround sound receiver.

At that price point...you should not really be expecting too much...From any manufacturer.

If funds are an issue...then you might be better served to pick up a upper line used model.

Good Luck
Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks