What's new

Who buys cable modems at stores? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It seems every week BestBuy has sales on cable modems. But I've always had the cable modem provided by the cable provider. So who buys cable modems from the store? Why? I've been puzzled by this for a few years.

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit

Most cable companies let you buy your own modem and use it, the advantage is not having to pay modem lease fee (usually 3-6 dollars a month). I paid 40.00 for mine on special and just passed the break even point. Not to mention you can get the a new modem or your choice instead of some of the junk the cable company leases you. The only problem is that if it the modem dies you either have to buy a new one or lease one.

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
You can sign up for cable broadband at Best Buy instead of contacting the cable company directly. You usually get a better deal that way, including a free modem. Plus you can go home and start surfing that same day instead of waiting on the cable company to come out to your house.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've replaced by cable modems with store-bought cable modems, and usually with the sale prices ($40-$60), my break-even return period is 8-10 months (at $5/month rental rate from the cable companies cable modem).

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I tend to swap mine out because the ones that they give you are usually pretty "cheap." I usually see about a 150% increase in speed by using a decent quality store bought modem over the one I get from the company.

Though now I'm through Verizon DSL and live close enough to their main building that I'm getting the rated speed from their modem so I'm not itching to replace it this time around.

CRyan

Screenwriter
I have alwyas bought modems instead of leasing. However, I have had a run of bad luck with the Motorola units dying on me (3 now in 4 years). I just started renting now at $3 a month. At least if it dies, all I have to do is ask for a new one. If a good deal comes up again I might buy again. However, most of the deals here are for new subscribers like cell-phones.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Time Warner may be different. Who knows, but it is certainly possible that it would be $3-5 cheaper if you had your own. If you are interested at all it would be worth the call.

Yeah, it is basically like cell-phone service at stores like Best Buy and Circuit City. They sign you up with the actual provider. Just that usually they do not have different services for broadband internet. Best Buy might be with the local cable company while another store is with DSL etc.

I suppose if you are in the middle of nowhere that the big stores may not be linked with anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks