Who bought "insurance" copies of Snow White?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I was able to get my first copy for 22 bucks off amazon.com and later found a 2nd copy for 19.99 at my local DVD store (a grocery store...).

I usually don't buy titles just for the sake of having it...but I did it anyways since I'll make back that 20 bucks in 7 years anyways..

Since this is the last day you can buy the Snow White DVD, who purchased more than one copy of the DVD?

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

This isn't the last day you can buy it.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I thought Snow White was going off the market on Jan 31.

Is it March 31 instead of Jan 31?

4. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

No, it is January 31st.

I think what Kyle meant was the they aren't pulling the existing copies off of the shelf, just that they aren't making any more. So you will be able to buy it after today, if you can find it.

FWIW, I grabbed a couple for $11.99 right after Thanksgiving. I have a couple friends that just had kids and wouldn't have even thought about buying it.

-Chad

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Ya. They're not pressing any more copies....but there are hundreds of thousands out there. [​IMG]

6. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I had bought 2 copies on VHS way back when because tape can break. But then DVD came along and I sold one of the unopened tapes on Ebay for a good sum.

Still keep one tape around for the kids.

It might be a good investment to pick up a few of the dvds now and then sell em on Ebay 2-3 years from now when the demand heats up again.

JohnG

7. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

I would have seriously doubted the market for OOP DVDs, but I've made a LOT of money on some Criterion titles, the incredibly crummy Wallace and Gromit and Willy Wonka 1st editions, and many others. Oddly enough, I just sold a copy of The Little Mermaid for $50 at Half.com.
    I am simply amazed at what people will pay for these discs. I swear I've funded half my DVD collection from the sale of fewer than a dozen OOP (and mainly crappy) DVDs.
    Oh, well. [​IMG]

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Disney has a store of backup copies. If you fill out their registration card you can mail in the disc should it fail for a replacement

9. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

I picked up an extra copy around Thanksgiving and I'm not sure what I'll do with it. Who knows...eBay? Maybe some day. Or it could make a nice gift for someone, we'll see.

10. Louis-Olivier

Louis-Olivier Stunt Coordinator

There's a gorgeous edition out in Region 2UK, so i might get that one too!

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I did not pick up an insurance copy of Snow White, but I did take a second copy of "Little Mermaid" as my free bonus disc when I bought it.

Regards,

12. Mark Klaus

Mark Klaus Stunt Coordinator

My kids happened to get an additional copy as a Christmas gift. I'm keeping it and the additional Little Mermaid copy I got free with my initial Snow White purchase as back ups.

I'd hate to be without these two movies if something happened to the disks.

13. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Pre-ordered 2 and got 101 Dalmatians and Lady and the Tramp, sent in for the $5 rebate, which comes to approx. $9.50/disc (including tax). That's a pretty good deal, considering Snow White is easily worth $30. One of the Snow White discs is unopened and will probably show up on E-Bay one of these days.