Who at Criterion decides which films to release?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zane Charron, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

I'm sure someone out there knows the answer to this question. Is it a head-honcho who says "we're gonna do this film" or maybe a committee of cinema buffs? How much of it depends on the costs to acquire the rights and create the supplemental material (if any)?

I've always loved (most) of Criterion's releases, and I'd like to know a little more insight into their release criteria (no pun intended).

2. Rain

Rain Producer

Zane,
    You can email Criterion from their website (www.criterionco.com).
    Jon Mulvany typically responds within a day or two. I don't know if he would be able to answer this question in great detail, but it's worth a try.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

One method that has been noted in Criterion’s literature is this: films get a ‘champion’ within Criterion/Janus. That is, someone really wants to put the film on DVD badly. That person (or persons) carries the torch until everyone agrees to the project.

This may be exceptional.

I don’t consider it a coincidence that a good many Criterion releases occur after a major, classic film has been restored for a theatrical run. I have no idea how the financing works in these cases, but I’m sure that there must be some cost sharing.

4. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

5. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Thanks for the chat transcript links. They pretty much answered the questions I had.