Who are your favorite African American comedians who've been on TV ?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by BrucetDuncan, Mar 9, 2006.

1. BrucetDuncan

BrucetDuncan Extra

Since most of them end up eventually getting their own TV show at some point, who are your favourite African American (living or deceased) comedians and please say why for each one named.

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Well, it may not be PC to like it, but Tim Moore and Spencer Williams were one of my favorite duos as Kingfish and Andy on "Amos 'n Andy." It's sad they can't get their due because of the stigma attached to their show. Why my favorites? Because they were hilarious. Take the scene where Kingfish's wife tells him he spends too much time with Andy and better stop seeing him so much. Kingfish tells a story about two donkeys tied together, crossing a bridge, when one falls in the water. The other has the choice of either drowning with his friend, or cutting himself loose and letting the other one drown. Andy asks what that has to do with him, and Kingfish says, "Well, Andy, from one jackass to another, you better learn how to swim!" [​IMG] And yes, it is funnier when Moore tells it.

Beyond that, Sherman Hemsley and Redd Foxx were both great leads on their respective series, and they lead great casts. Also, the entire cast of What's Happening!!!.

If you mean stand-up comedians, I guess only Redd Foxx fits there.

3. Bryan Krantz

Bryan Krantz Stunt Coordinator

Dave Chappelle. This man is constantly coming up with new material. Plus, his tv show doesn't force him into the standard sit-com scenario but allows great creative freedom. It is a shame that he could not continue with season 3.

Sherman Helmsley is very under-rated. His George Jefferson character really turned convention on its ear.

4. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Redd Foxx, Dave Chappelle, Richard Pryor (for The Richard Pryor Show in particular), Sherman Hemsley, Chris Rock, Flip Wilson, Bernie Mac, and Bill Cosby (for I SPY) are among my favorites. Although none of them are African Americans because they were all born here in the USA! [​IMG][​IMG]