What's new

Who Are The Worst Actors In TV History (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Shatner's Grim Reaper said:
Gary...you were an officer and a gentleman....no problems whatsoever.
Thanks. I can get out of hand just like anyone else (and probably better than many), so I truly am relieved I didn't respond in an inappropriate way with VTTBOTS.

Gary "take care" O.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Jack Lord did pretty well in Man of the West, holding his own with Gary Cooper. He did a fine turn as a troubled musician on an episode of Route 66. He was not a great actor but he clearly had some range. He did a good job as McGarrett, playing him as a type-a personality. The new guy could turn sideways and disappear.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
davidHartzog said:
William Shatner in anything, and that 2by4 currently playing McGarrett in 5-0.
I have to vehemently disagree with Shatner's addition to this list - with a caveat. I understand the star Bill Shatner's, with his staccato delivery and ego primping physical posing; but the stuff he did in Twilight Zone and Thriller to name a few, ie. prior to Star Trek, now that was some fine acting!And put me down as one who loves Tim Conway's puppet Hitler...If I had to throw some names out there, of which Stevenson would be among the top, would be Joyce van Patten, Tony Francisciano and Sally Struthers...

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Tony Franciosa was better in films, like Rio Conchos. I think he felt tv was beneath him. He caused major problems when he was with The Name of the Game.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Mike Frezon said:
This is not rocket science guys.

A topic such as this WILL inevitably bring out negative opinions which will run contrary to others opinions and--whammo--people get pissy.
It's similar to the "Annoying character" thread in that vintage TV brings out the natural familiarity-breeds-contempt urge for modern folks to start pop-deconstructing classic reruns they grew up sick of for iconic shock value, without researching or remembering them too clearly--
If you think the attacks on Archie Bunker or Tim Conway were a little underinformed and unwarranted in this thread and the other, try bringing up I Dream of Jeannie in a mostly female board, and watch the generationally-underinformed PC hate-myths fly. :rolleyes:

But what happened in the previous cases were that we had a few privately geeked experts who came to the defense with more examples and more details, and took the analysis even further. Giving the previous attention-struck poster the "smart-slap" that made his post seem more like the exception than the rule.
And that's why, frankly, I like discussing TV on this board. You never know what you can learn, once you get the smart folks together. :D

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
No contributions to the thread other than I would disagree with inclusion of William Shatner if for no other reason than his work on Boston Legal. He played the role extremely well and his chemistry with James Spader and comedy timing were just about perfect.

- Walter.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I'm sure there are dozens of "worst actors" on TV whose work I've never even seen. The worst I've actually seen is far better than the worst I haven't. I feel fortunate.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
A lot of actors don't seem so bad on their own shows because the writers tend to write the character based on what the actor can and cannot do. But take them out of that comfort zone, and they fall flat.

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
I'll get flamed but here goes:

Tom Selleck

Gardner McKay, who had sense enough to get out of the business

Adam West

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Susan Nunes_329977 said:
I'll get flamed but here goes:

Tom Selleck

Gardner McKay, who had sense enough to get out of the business

Adam West
Susan, here's a little forgotten gem I like to pass along:

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Yeah, I agree McLean was funny, he was good on Match Game at least as one of the Not Richard Dawson 5th-seaters.

As for the person who doesn't like Charlotte Rae (Girls, GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRLS! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!), did you think Cloris was better on Facts of Life? Ooooh, controversy!

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
davidHartzog said:
Tom Selleck and Adam West were good at playing, well, themselves. McKay was better as a novelist, like Tom Tryon.
Adam West worked for me with his Batman persona in much the same matter as John Wayne did with all his cowboys

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Good point, probably why I always prefered Randy Scott and Gary Cooper, although Wayne did do a great job in The Searchers.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
JMFabianoRPL said:
Yeah, I agree McLean was funny, he was good on Match Game at least as one of the Not Richard Dawson 5th-seaters.

As for the person who doesn't like Charlotte Rae (Girls, GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRLS! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!), did you think Cloris was better on Facts of Life? Ooooh, controversy!
I was the culprit on the Charlotte Rae remarks. For the record, Cloris Leachman was a decent actress (especially on MTM and the Mel Brooks films) but I didn't care for either them on Facts. Although, I was hard on Rae, I think the problem was moreso with the writing on that show. The scripts were horrid

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
How about ANYONE, other than Harry Morgan, Jack Webb interacted with on Dragnet (60's version)? Other police officers, victims, crooks. Whatever role they played, he found the most atrocious actors available. It looks literally that he plucked people right off the street and offered them money to be in his show. I'd include Webb himself on this list, but since he tailor made this role to fit his own personality, I'll give him a pass.

PS - I never realized how horrible an actor Anthony Eisley was until I saw him do guest shots in a few eps.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
davidHartzog said:
Good point, probably why I always prefered Randy Scott and Gary Cooper, although Wayne did do a great job in The Searchers.
Ah...The Searchers....my favorite western.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Frank Soyke said:
How about ANYONE, other than Harry Morgan, Jack Webb interacted with on Dragnet (60's version)? Other police officers, victims, crooks.
I always loved the continuous nodding between Jack and Harry when engaging in conversation.

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
I LOVE Harry Morgan. He was great in December Bride.

Actually I enjoy most of the classic actors and actresses, but the main exception was Alan Ladd. He couldn't act to save his life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks