What's new

Who are the up and coming film composers? (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I admit i've been out of the loop on this one lately. I do miss the presence of a Jerry Goldsmith and still appreciate the presence of composers like John Williams, Danny Elfman, James Newtown Howard, Hans Zimmer and especially James Horner's work, however i'm curious who's new on the scene?

So please list your favorite up and coming composers and their works?

Thanks in advance!!

David

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The last good score i bought was The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Music in movies is dead for the moment IMO. I have not heard a Star Wars or Indiana Jones in years. Seems all they do anymore is what i call soundscapes, mood music, more sound effect than anything. Dare anyone to come out of the movies humming the music, cant do it now.
I own about 150 soundtracks on CD, mostly 70s and 80s stuff, lots of Horner, Goldsmith, and Williams.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't disagree more with that statement. There is plenty of fantastic work being done on the film music front these days. Film scores that don't have to be a "Star Wars" or "Indiana Jones" but remain completely memorable pieces of work.

James Newton Howard's work is more often than not fantastic. Though the film was a disappointment, his "The Lady in the Water" score was sublime. His previous work in The Village remains one of my most listened to soundtracks. Other memorable composers and thier works include Shigeru Umebayashi (The House of Flying Daggers), Hans Zimmer (collaborating with the aformentioned Newton Howard in Batman Begins), Harry Gregson-Williams (The Chronicles of Narnia most recently), John Powell (X-men III and The Bourne Identity), Patrick Doyle (wonderful score for "The Goblet of Fire" that completely upstaged John Williams work IMHO), Howard Shore (LOTR and History of Violence), Clint Mansell (Requiem for a Dream) and many more. The list could literally go on and on...

No, I think film music is very much alive and well. It's almost sad that I more look forward to listening to the work of a films' composer than I care to watch the actual film these days.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, there are far too many films where the production company says, "here are the top ten hip-hop artists. Work them into the soundtrack" - even if it's a Victorian period dramatic piece.

Maybe not by that example, but you get the idea.

Leo Kerr

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Mark Isham's score for Eight Below is wonderful!
Also, John Debney's score for Dreamer is beautiful!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Dario Marianelli's score for Pride & Prejudice was heavenly, but that's the only thing I've really heard of his. He also composed the music for V for Vendetta, but the music didn't stand out to me.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I like Michael Giacchino's work for The Incredibles and LOST. MI:3 was somewhat dissapointing though. It failed to leave an impression.

--
H

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

I've only heard THE INCREDIBLES and honesty it rips off John Barry's Bond scores too much for me to give him credit. Will be interesting to hear the others.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
If that's a rip off, then so is the entire movie. I trust you get my point.

--
H

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Rips off as in directly steals Barry's Bond score? It's quite obviously an intentional throwback to those scores but that isn't nearly the same as a rip off.

Giacchino's work on Alias really showed off a very diverse talent (moreso than his work on Lost )so I think he has a lot more tools in his bag than just taking stuff from John Barry.

Arild

Supporting Actor
That was kinda the point. :)

In fact, wasn't Barry at one point attached to do The Incredibles himself?

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Motifs are products of inspiration, not rip-off. I think he did exactly what the director asked him for, a 60's inspired jazz score.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood

This idea would be great for a King Arthur movie, but only if Arthur is played by Kanye West or Jay-Z, they'd have to break down in a scene and start rapping. :D

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
A 60's jazz score could have had the influence of a Lalo Schifin however THE INCREDIBLES is too Barry-ish.

Let's put it this way if the Bond films had never happened that film would have sounded vastly different.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, I can take the hint ;)

Horner caused a bit of serious controversy lately, with an online radio interview where he gave a rather intense, angry, (some called it unprofessional) and frank take on working in hollywood, specifically his less-than-pleasant dealings with Terrance Malick and Wolfgang Petersen.

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit

There is a reason for that. The producers wanted to get Barry to do the score and he either was not able to or refused. Giacchino was asked to replicate the sound of Barry's Bond score. I think he did a fabulous job of it.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

Ok I can accept that!

Curious the producers just wouldn't be content with the composer using his own style?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks