What's new

Whither The Wannsee Conference? (1 Viewer)

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Has anyone heard anything about this great movie ever coming out on DVD? For those who are unfamiliar with it, it's a German production (I believe) that used the actual transcripts of the infamous meeting in early 1942 where Reinhard Heydrich, Adolf Eichmann, and several other Nazi officials and bureaucrats met to discuss details of the "Final Solution."
A remarkable depiction of how something as unfathomable as the systematic extermination of millions could be as calmly and dispassionately discussed as a seminar on foot hygiene.
Though a very different style of "war movie" from films like Saving Private Ryan or Patton, in its own way, it is no less brutal. Thus far, I've had to make do with my fading VHS copy. A new DVD release would offer so many additional opportunities as well -- historian commentaries and discussions of the events, the transcripts, the people....
Certainly, among my top ten WW II films ever.
------------------
Mark K. Lee
"Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
- Tom Lehrer

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
They just did another movie on the Wannsee Conference called Conspiracy (2001) on HBO, Starring
Stanley Tucci .... Lt. Colonel Adolf Eichmann
Kenneth Branagh .... General Reinhard Heydrich
------------------
Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation
http://apacure.org/

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Dredging up an old query of mine, but after watching my scratchy VHS copy last night, it got me to wondering anew: has anyone heard anything about this film finding its way to DVD? I haven't seen the HBO film Conspiracy, but for starters, I would imagine it loses something by being done in English, as opposed to German w/subtitles, as in this movie.
Anything? Anything? Bueller? Anything? :frowning:

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The BBC has broadcast both The Wannsee Conference and Conspiracy; both were absolutely chilling, and the latter loses absolutely nothing by being in English, in fact, it's the very calm and dispassionate delivery of the actors that makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, the language is so matter of fact, the result so murderous. Branagh is marvellous.

I was sure at least Conspiracy had found its way on to DVD, but I can't find it anywhere.

---

So many films, so little time...

RussR

Stunt Coordinator
Conspiracy was OK, but not as well done as The Wannsee Conference.
FWIW, last year I emailed Home Vision about this title. I received a response from a real person, as I recall, indicating that there no plans for a DVD release "at this time".

Maurice McCone

Stunt Coordinator
haven't seen The Wannsee Conference, but Conspiracy was superb (if thats the right word). I believe that this recently won a BAFTA (Brit oscar) for single drama....and yes Branagh is at his best here.....as good as Shackleton.

Hans Mark

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Morgenstern
I have the german one on laser disc, and transferred it to digital tape in order to eventually make a DVD. Sorry to answer this thread so many years later, but if anybody's interested, message me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks