Whitesnake: Live in the Still of the Night

Discussion in 'Music' started by Keith I, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    This DVD/CD combo from their 2004 UK tour is coming out on Feb. 7 but I wanted to know what the specs are from someone who may already have this or knows. Specs online aren't that clear and I'd like to know what the audio and video specs are. Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1? Anamorphic widescreen? (Where are retailer back cover shots when you need them? Only DVD Empire has them but they don't have this title listed!)

I read on Amazon that there are only 15 songs (why can't they include the entire or most of the concert).

I've been waiting for some kind of Whitesnake DVD when it was announced looooooooong ago that a 20th Century Masters edition was coming out (about 5 music videos) and as long as it had the awesome "Still of the Night" on it, I would be happy. But it never materialized. How many music videos did Whitesnake make before and after their famous Whitesnake album? I know they had a few from Slip of the Tongue.
    -

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

The concert is listed on HDNet this month. I have not seen the show, but I did see a clip for "In the still of the night". Looked pretty good, but it was edited in the typical fashion....fast cuts.

Given that the broadcast is HD and DD 5.1, I would wager the DVD will be 16:9 Enhanced as well.

Brian

3. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    I found this:

http://whitesnake.com/new/release/index.html

The interview mentions "widescreen" and there's a DTS logo on the sidebar. Coverdale also mentions he's in talks with Geffen and hopefully EMI to release the definitive Whitesnake music video collection!

I won't be able to get to any stores on Tuesday so if anyone does see or get this DVD, please post the specs. Thanks!

Hmmm, Shirley and her "magnificent balloons"??? It's too bad we won't find out what that means. :p)

UPDATE: On this page, there's a link to the press release.

http://www.noblepr.co.uk/Press_Relea...whitesnake.htm

But it's for a Region 2 release. I hope the Region 1 is identical (Dolby Digital?).

4. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Jesus, a Whitesnake thread on HTF... What's the world coming to?

In one of the links provided here, Coverdale notes, "On my last US tour I didn't find one...not one, Whitesnake CD in any of the stores I checked out..."

I see the value of a DVD video presentation, but does anyone have any info on REMASTERED CD versions of the catalog? The current (old pressing) CDs sound like muddy crap. (Plus, someone apparently stole my "Ready & Willin'," and, like David, I can't find a copy of it anywhere!) I'd really like to hear new remasters with more clarity and definition. Maybe Coverdale would have more luck in the US if we could get better sounding CDs.

Any input?

MC

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Tawny Kitaen pre-mental-breakdown... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    I got it and it is 16:9 anamorphic widescreen and it looks really good. Artistically they changed from clear color to black and white scratchy film-style throughout the concert (which is almost 1 hr. 45 min. long).

There is a 2.0 stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1, and DTS 5.1 audio track with another track for something called SRS Circle Surround.

The concert itself is pretty good. Coverdale and Co. know how to work the crowd well although I could do without the crowd finishing lines for DC. DC is showing his age but his voice does not betray it. He can still wail with the best of them with no hint of strain. His band is also up to the task admirably. Doug Aldrich can shred. Reb Beach (guitar) and Marco Mendez (bass) and Timothy Drury (keyboards) are left in the background. Tommy Aldridge (drums) gets a powerful solo inside "Crying in the Rain."

I wish Drury emulated strings during the solo for "Still of the Night" but the guitar substitute was all right. Hearing this song (still my favorite) makes me want the music video in 5.1 audio!

There is a short documentary with interviews and behind the scenes before the concert (setup, prep, etc.).

And yes ... some of the cuts are way too fast, almost giving me a headache.