What's new

White Van Scam special report on Channel 3 at 5:00 today for those in Sacramento (1 Viewer)

DanaA

Screenwriter
So, I'll make a point of watching it. This is the first time I've seen a report on the news about it. The teaser said something to the effect of "Are you getting ripped off? KCRA explores the white van scam in Sacramento." Not the exact words, but words to that effect. It looked like their reporters will confront the scammers face to face.

Hope all in the Sacramento area watch.

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator
"CALL 3 called Theater Research, which is based in Southern California. The president of the company his speakers are as good or better quality than what people buy in a big-name store. He also said his company does not have people running around in vans.

CALL 3 also asked if the president sold equipment to people who then sell it out of vans. He said it's none of CALL 3's business who he sells to and hung up."

Great PR skills the President of that company has........ ;)

DanaA

Screenwriter
I guess I was wrong about reporters directly confronting a white van. The guy who was ripped off did seem like he is very intent on getting his money back.

And, yes, the company's president did say that they stood up with or exceeded the quality of speakers found in big name stores. Now, which speakers in those stores might best the greatness of white van speakers? :D

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Last night i got bored and decided to take a look at the Theater Research auctions going on over at Ebay. There is a pair of Theater Research "studio monitors" that is over $800. I cannot understand how people can spend that kind of money without doing any research whatsoever. If they typed theater research into google they would get thousands of results telling them about the scam. What is wrong with people?!?!

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

Most people are stupid, and there is no mincing words about it.

As for the speakers, all I can say is while I do not like the people selling the speakers, the people who buy them deserve what they get.

I don't know anything about jewelery (except watches), and I would never buy jewelery from a 'white van' Same with anything!

Do these people actually have jobs, and pay bills, or do they just sit in a corner sucking their thumb all day?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Whether they cost $8, $80, or $800 apeice anybody who buys their speakers out of the back of a white van is taking an unnecessary chance. I'd expect any customer who's that gullible to end up with a cinder block packaged inside of a speaker box. Given a choice of spending money on van speakers or Bose I'd absolutely chose Bose. My bedroom home theater in a box is proof that a wise customer can get Bose quality at 1/10th the price, but anybody who has money for white van speakers has money to burn.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Back about a year ago I reported the white van folks to Call 3 (their consumer investigative reporting division). At that time they said they'd look into it. I figured they wouldn't do anything until things got a little slow around the office. Guess things got a little slow!

Dana, I was actually approached by one of these 'van' guys in the parking lot of Safeway on Alhambra and J a while back.

What a scam. You know what they say, "a fool and his money are soon parted".

DanaA

Screenwriter
Mike,

I've always wanted to see one in person, but never have. Yet, I've read about many encounters in this area, quite a few of them in supermarket parking lots. The police rep on the show said that they just come in and out of the area, but I don't think so. I think one of the scam sites listed a number which they work out of in our area. Every once in a while, I see them being advertised in the Bee (Sacramento's paper for those who don't live in the area). Twice, I've called them, let them lead me on, then threatened to call the DA. Both times, the ad stopped the next day, but I have no doubt they got them sold somewhere.

Kenneth, on one hand I do agree that the people who buy them deserve what they get for not doing their homework. I still hold the white van people mostly at fault. They prey on people's naivite (must have spelled that wrong). Like in the old West, they'd be tarred and feathered, not the victim of the scam.

MikeNg

Second Unit
There's a web site with all kinds off accounts of these scam artists (I use that term quite losely) preying on people.

Dana, if they don't get someone this time, they'll get someone next time. That's why they're still working it. Unless someone makes a big enough stink to bring down serious heat on whomever is making these sorry excuses for speakers - they'll unfortunately be back.

Check it out here.

DanaA

Screenwriter
That's a good question. I've often wondered. Perhaps, there's something like fraud in their misrepresentation of the product. The police rep indicated some "crime" when he stated:

But, to be honest, I'm not sure if it would fly. I have read of them being told to leave certain towns by law enforcement.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I'd be willing to bet that these van guys are running an illegal operation without being properly licensed. "We're getting alot of complaints about you guys, close shop immediately or we'll have you charged with tax evasion" would be enough to get the to leave town.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks