White Van Man spotted again

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John Garcia, May 1, 2003.

1. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    This time he was in a Silver van, very pushy. "Would you like to buy some speakers..." Before he even finished his sentence, I said "No thanks", but he persisted. I got in my car and drove away. Beware Bay Area (this was in Cupertino), they are on the prowl.

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

there was just a philly fox 5 problem solver report on the white van guys. they taped their whole spiel with a hidden camera and then had someone test the speakers out. one interesting thing is that the tweeter is labelled "twerter"

the brand of the speakers in the report was ephiphany

3. Scott_AH

Scott_AH Stunt Coordinator

Wow, I've had that encounter here in Spokane, WA and a buddy of mine actually bought some in Seattle (Ooops). It's amazing how widespread this is.

Scott

4. DarrellC

DarrellC Stunt Coordinator

I can tell you from personal experience how they get their speakers. The speakers are imported into the US from other countries. They will buy a container at a time and grab what they can fit in the van each visit. When they sell those, they come back and get more until they are all gone. Most of the time they will tell their prospects that they were overshipped these speakers by UPS or FedEx and just want to sell them for cost. I have seen the paperwork and they are paying about $40-$50 per pair.

How do I know all of this? I own an import/export distribution company and handled these speakers in the past. That is until I found out what they were doing and then I kicked them out. We used to call it the white van scam.

5. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

Call those speakers Paradym, man, that is pretty sneeky.

6. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

7. KevinWEL

KevinWEL Stunt Coordinator

Man, is this scam still happening! I remember I was stopped in a mall parking lot right outside a stereo store by two guys selling speakers from a van. This was 15 years ago. They were trying to sell me "overshipped" stuff at cost. They used some JBL ripoff initials. Luckily I knew my equiptment. I hate those kind of people! [​IMG]

8. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

So are these guys that sell in the white vaz just a little more "scammy" then when my local arena that has the big massive t-shirt/stereo expos... you know the ones where you buy like a 12' powered sub for 14.00 or a tommy hilfiger shirt for 5?