white to black surrounds

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Keith M., Aug 28, 2003.

1. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

A while back I purchased a pair of the Klipsch KSP-S6 surrounds in white because I was using them in a living room home theater. Since then, I have bought a house and have almost completed my dedicated home theater room. The problem is I now need them black.

I was wondering If it would be safe to spray paint the cabinets black? They seem to be made of mdf...Do the front metal grills come off?

I also need to do this with my pair of Klipsch KSP-S3 also. And was going to replace the white speaker fabric with the partsexpress.com black speaker cloth...

Are there any issues I should be aware of? What type of spray paint should I use flat, satin, etc??

Looking to do this over the long weekend, so immediate input is welcomed.

Thanks in advance...

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I did exactly this with my M&K tripoles.

I'd recommend taking everything out of the cabinet- speakers, crossovers, etc. It's usually pretty simple, just undo the screws. Make sure to note how the crossover is wired to the speakers also.

I used the black speaker cloth fabric from radio shack. No problems at all with it.

I used a flat black paint and used a spray gun to get an even finish. Some speakers have a textured finish and I beleive you can get something to add to the paint to get that effect if you wanted it. Spray paint would work fine also, it's just harder to get a smooth finish.

Mine came out great and it would be very hard to tell they have been painted.