What's new

White screens cause projector to cycle through inputs. Argh! (1 Viewer)

pugnax

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Kaufman
Hi. Just joined the forum and see a lot of useful info here, but couldn't find an answer to a crazy problem I am having with my Optoma EP 719. When a scene in a movie/tv show/video game is almost all white, the projector flickers and then cycles through all of its inputs (VGA, component, etc). Just bought a video game for my family, and it has nearly all white in some screens so the projector just keeps cycling, and we can't use the game. Has anyone ever seen this problem before and could offer a solution? I have already set the thing back to its default settings, but to no avail. I filled out the support form at Optoma's site but no answer yet. I know this is an older Optoma but thought I would make this cry for help. Thanks for any help! Paul

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Two things come to mind. 1) Check to see that the projector has the latest firmware. 2) Try another cable. Are you using component or HDMI?

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I don't have any specific info on Optoma but I have an InFocus PJ. It has a "sync threshhold adjustment" that solved a vaguely similar problem.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Welcome to Home Theater Forum Paul. I took a look at the manual on-line and I think you can avoid this if you turn the source lock on. Go to Menu-->Management-->Source Lock and turn it on. See if that does the trick.

pugnax

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Kaufman
Thanks for the great feedback, Guys (and on New Years!). This group is awesome. I am using component cables. It doesn't have a network port for firmware update that I can find.

Adam, I tried that setting you mentioned (with high hopes -- since it appears that it would solve the issue) but alas it still tried to cycle once a mostly white screen appeared. Bummer! I have settled for having to get a separate xbox 360 cable and run it from my tv's input 2 composite jacks to the game system. I now have to plug in different cable in the 360 based on whether I want the tv or projector as the display source, but at least we can use the game.

And hopefully Optoma will get back to me on my question to them on this issue. I can't image I am the only one with this wacky problem (or am I...)

Thanks again. You guys rock!

-Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks