White or Gray Screen if Can Control Image Brightness?

Bill_Br

Agent
Real Name
Bill Browning
Hello,

I’ve posted here before concerning my attempt to determine whether to buy a white or high-contrast gray screen.

In a previous post, I mentioned that my setup will be in a basement family room, so the room can be completely darkened. The walls are a dark, simulated wood paneling, and the carpet is a medium dark brown. The furniture is very dark gray—almost black. The ceiling panels, however, are white.

The projector, a Toshiba TDP-T90, is rated at 2,200 ANSI lumens with a contrast ratio of 2000:1. The image will be about 71 inches wide, with the height varying according to the format of the movie being viewed (maximum of approx. 53 inches). The throw distance will be about twelve feet.

I’ve received conflicting recommendations both from forum members and screen professionals (manufacturer and retailer reps) as to whether in this setup I should use a white or high-contrast gray screen.

The new information since my last post is this: After familiarizing myself more with the projector, I realize that it has both a bulb-saver feature (which dims the picture somewhat) and brightness and contrast scales you can access on the on-screen menu to change these settings even more.

My question is: Since I can adjust the brightness and contrast of the image, would it make more sense to have a white screen and adjust the projector brightness/contrast to fit that screen, instead of having a gray screen, which would require a brighter image?

Thanks!
Bill

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
From what you posted, I would go with a gray screen. There are 3 reasons: Very bright projector, white ceiling, and small screen size. Even in low power mode, it may still be too bright. It's hard to answer definitely without knowing how many lumens that projector puts out in low power and calibrated properly. I would consider setting up a temporary white screen of some sort, calibrate with a cal. disc such as Avia, and see how it looks. That's the only way you'll know for sure. You can use a thick white sheet or blackout cloth.

Bill_Br

Agent
Real Name
Bill Browning
I finally decided to purchase a 60 x 80 inch Grandview white screen with 1.0 gain. It was offered on eBay new for a very good price, and I haven't been disappointed. By darkening the ceiling near the screen and using a curtain and black material to mask the non-picture area on the screen, I've gotten very satisfactory results.

Bill

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo