What's new

White noise when playing cd.. (1 Viewer)

Mikel.S

Grip
I'm using some Klipsch RB-35's and an Onkyo TX8511 receiver, and also a Sony CD player from about 1987. When I turn up the volume I can hear lots of white noise/static in the background. Is this normal? Do different cd players have better sound quality or are they all the same?

Thanks
Mike

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
Well - high efficiency speakers will let you find flaws in power, so the first bet is your amp. This is not uncommon with many SS amps.

Try to turn your source off (the CD player), select the source on your amp and turn the volume up and see what you hear. If the noise is there (even if less than with the player on) you have found the culprit. I would go so far as to say that if you try the same with other sources you will have varying degrees of the same on different source modes (presuming it is the amp).

Lastly, see if this is happening at reasonable listening levels. If the noise is unnoticable at lower listening levels then there is a good chance it does not impact the sound at most all reasonable listening levels. If that is the case - relax and enjoy.

Noise is there on all amps (yeah some will profess to theirs being absolutely quiet, but physics gets in the way of that argument), but is much easier to manage on lower wattage tubes.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Is this normal? Nope. If it doesn't occur with other program sources like the radio or a DVD player (if you have one), then it'd suggest an issue with your CD player.

Your CD player is 17 years old including the year it was made. Components age and break down so 'perhaps' that's what you're hearing. The technology has advanced enormously since then and there are many competent players around today at a variety of price points. Try bringing the unit over to a friend's house and confirming your problem. If it still exists, then why not post back looking for suggestions at the price you're looking to pay?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks