What's new

White Noise Review (1 Viewer)

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
It's hard to describe what genera "White Noise" would go in. In some ways it's a thriller/horror movie, but then again it has sci-fi elements as well mystery/who done it. Jonathan Rivers (Michael Keaton) is an architect married to Anna(Chandra West), a beautiful author who when coming home one night has a car crash but her body is not found. One morning Jonathan notices a man parked outside his house and then later at his office. The man's name is Raymond Price (Ian McNeice) who tells Jonathan that his dead wife has been contacting him. Rivers belives the man to be a nut but keeps his business card. Over the next six months Rivers tries to put his life back together. After moving he decides to talk with Price. At Price's house Rivers meets Sera (Deborah Kara Unger) who's fiance has communicated with her via EVP or Electro Voice Phenomenon (a way the dead communicate with the living through the static of modern audio and video equipment) of which Price happens to have an obsession with.

Jonathan gets contacted by Anna several times but soon it's not exactly what he expected. Through her contacts Jonathan will begin a quest to find out what happened to his wife among other things.

The mood of "White Noise" is close to that of "The Ring" but doesn't come close to the eerieness I felt when watching "The Ring." Over all there are a few "jump out at ya" scares along with the standard "fooled ya" and "double fake out" scares. Overall the story is told pretty well and the way that EVP is shown is a bit scary (I won't see noise on the TV or hear static on the radio the same again).

The main problem with this film is the ending. So many times movies are warpped up in a nice neat bow for the audience. I love it when a movie leaves everything open. Why does everything have to have a complete ending? It seems to me though that towrads the end the wirter, Niall Johnson, didn't exactly know how to end it so why not thow in the whole kitchen sink? "White Noise" is well acted, shot and edited but in the end it just lacked that special something.

:star: :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Adam, did you see the preview for this movie they had running in things like "The Twenty" and other pre-show advertisement stuff? I found that segment pretty freaky everytime I saw it, so I'm wondering if this film is going to end up in the same class as another.

That is, Blair Witch Project, where there is a piece of promotional material (for Blair it was that Sci-Fi - I think - special) that is perhaps more involving and better than the actual film.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The TV spots for this thing are some of the worse I have ever seen. Right up there with Supernova from a couple of years ago, another member of the January dumping ground.

--
H

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Saw it last night and I more or less agree with the review above. It's basically a B-movie knock-off of The Ring, which doesn't in itself mean it's bad, but it does turn out to be a very slow movie with lots of hints that something's about to happen only for nothing at all to happen, and with an ending that's just sort of slapped together. It doesn't help that Michael Keaton's character is really slow on the uptake on just about everything :)

I got the impression that the filmmakers heard about EVP, thought it would be cool material for a horror movie, but then realized they didn't have a very good idea of what the hell to do with the concept once they started getting the story developed, so a lot of the film is just stretching things out as much as possible. It does have some eerie bits in it, though, and the acting and directing are competent.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

It is certainly the impression I got from watching "The Twenty" promo stuff. They were big on talking up the EVP angle, and not really saying much of the film itself.

Jason

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
The idea for the movie is a really good one and for about 80% of the movie it goes really well. But like I said, the ending just kind of makes you say: "Damn, I thought this was gonna be good."

Yeah the ads are pretty good, too bad it doesn't quite hold up. In the ads they used a lot of EVP from real life and I think that if this movie has gone a little deeper into that idea it might have been better. I mean even if it isn't (which it wasn't) have there be a title card at the begining telling us that the following film is based on true events and get people talking (then of cousre they would have to fix the ending). These are just my ideas and hey, if you want to go out and see it. What might not be scary to me may scare the pants off you so as always I have to say give it a try.

-Adam Portrais

Stephen_Dar

Stunt Coordinator
Could you tell us the ending? I'm not gonna see the movie, just curious. Put it in a spoiler box to protect those who don't want to see?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Here's my review, as written from the perspective of a disappointed (but not surprised) fan of Michael Keaton's.

Short version: lead actor does what he can in a drab and predictable "thriller" - which is entirely composed of ideas from other films.

Keaton deserves better.

Dave Hackman

Stunt Coordinator
Cum on feel the noize. Girls rock your boys. This movie trailer looked
Wild, Wild, Wild!
Wild, Wild, Wild!

So you think this is a good horror/thriller movie. Tell you honey
I don’t know why
I don’t know why

So you think Keaton’s career is in desperate times. It makes him money
I don’t know why
I don’t know why
Anymore
Oh no

So C’mon hear the noise. Dead peoples incoherent radio/TV noise. This movie really
Sucks, Sucks, Sucks!
Sucks, Sucks, Sucks!

Well at least Michael Keaton’s character in the end apologized by saying he was sorry.

I accept

F

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks