What's new

White Line on Fake Anamorphic Squeeze (1 Viewer)

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
I have a Sony Trinitron KVS2766 in my bedroom setup and I recently went into the service menu and did the fake anamorphic squeeze trick (WOW, what a difference!!). However, I now have this white line that shows up at the end of the top black bar right above the picture. On 1.85:1 material I can't really see it unless it's a really dark scene but on 2.35:1 or greater material it's very prominent and kinda distracting since it's there for the whole movie. I adjusted overscan to maximize my screen area since it was really screwed up when I first went into the menu. I used to be missing parts of the circle/square test whenever I tried to check something out in the THX Optimode. I'm wondering if there is a way to get rid of this white line or if I'm stuck dealing with it as it's a byproduct of the fake squeeze? Any help would be welcome as I'm at the end of my rope. I love how much better anamorphic dvds look since there is no downconversion but the white line is really bothering me. Having tasted some of the goodness that is anamorphic dvd I might just upgrade to an HDTV to fully enjoy it and keep this TV for playing video games or watching 4:3 material. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
------------------
"I'd rather have 2 girls at 21 than 1 girl at 42." - W.C. Fields
"One man's simple is another man's huh." - David Stone

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Whenever you shrink the picture smaller than the screen boundaries (16:9 mode on a 4:3 TV is one kind of underscan) ragged edges or spurious streaks of light may come into view.
A very small number of TV sets have horizontal and/or vertical blanking interval duty cycle adjustments in their service menu (actual name may vary), these may be used to electronically matte the picture which is the way such an annoying line would be gotten rid of.
You can also physically matte the screen. This is not extremely precise on direct view sets, depending on where in the room you sit, either some of the picture edge is cropped by the matte, or the ragged edge is still visible.
Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on July 28, 2001 at 07:20 AM]

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply. I tried the blanking thing and it made the white line go away but it's a real pain to switch back when watching non anamorphic or 4:3 material. I used a macro to make the squeeze easier but my remote needs more memory to get in all the key presses necessary to make it easier to do the blanking on the fly. Sony pretty much made it a chore to get into the service menu and that particular adjustment is deep in the middle of the the menu. I have a JVC 32 inch downstairs that has an easy to reach service mode so I might just switch that one with my bedroom set and do the fake anamorphic squeeze on that one. This just makes me want to get that Toshiba even more.
yum.gif
Oh well, thanks for the help.
------------------
"I'd rather have 2 girls at 21 than 1 girl at 42." - W.C. Fields
"One man's simple is another man's huh." - David Stone

Daron

Agent
Duane,
I also have a Sony television. How did you do the "blanking thing?" Thanks!
--Daron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks