What's new

White Fuzz While Watching DVDs (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm not so much versed in all the techincal aspects of video. So I have a question. On some of the DVDs I own, In certain types of darker shots (night, darkened room). I get a white fuzz on the screen I noticed a great example of this whilc watching "The Fugitive" DVD in the opening shots of Chicago, at night, I get the white fuzz. Also happened in many of the nighttime shot on the "24" DVD boxed set. Does anyone know what causes this. It it the transfer, or equipment. I'm using a JVC Progressive Scan DVD player and a Hitachi Ultravision HDTV Monitor. Any answers?

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to ask this at home theater spot in the hitachi section. Some ultravision are known to have a problem with progressive players. I have a 36udx10sa that has vertical white lines on some xbox games in 480p mode.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's a progressive scan problem, because I'm pretty sure I tried turning it off and had the same problem. It only happens during certain darker shots

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
When someone comes to HTF with a question, we prefer it to be answered directly by other members at HTF instead of encouraging them to seek answers at another board.

Will, please describe what you're seeing in greater detail. Does this "fuzz" surround objects juxtaposed against a dark background? I'm not clear on what you're describing.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
No, It takes up the whole screen, in some darker shots of some films, As I said, a good example are the opening Chicago Shots in "The Fugitive." It's almost like watching a television program with bad reception. It only happens in one or 2 shots, but when it's there, It looks horrible

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
How high is the "brightness" (i.e., black level) adjusted on your monitor/dsplay? It sounds to me like it's too high and the resulting picture is being washed out.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure, but I kind of doubt it. My picture 99% of the time does not seem too bright. It only happens every so often on some DVDs but I don't know what causes it other that darkness

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Will, it could simply be the DVD-authoring process (as well as how certain films are shot). I only saw The Fugitive once at a commercial theater and have not seen the DVD (and there have been two editions). Some DVDs look better than others.

What are your basic picture settings on the Hitachi?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Let's see

I Have Contrast at 100%
Brightness at 46%
Color at 50%
Tint is Even
Sharpness at 100%

I used the noise reduction option and that helped, but I'm not even sure it worth it with all the detail that is sacrificed in the picture

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Um, Will, I've ascertained your problem:

Lower your contrast immediately to below 50 percent. You are ruining your Hitachi. Immediately lower it. Your picture will improve immediately, and your CRTs might still have a fighting chance.

Next, reduce the sharpness to below 20 percent. After a few minutes of conditioning your eyes to this, try reducing the "sharpness" even more—perhaps to 0 percent.

Other picture levels should be adjusted based on the results from the above-two procedures.

Again, you need to lower the contrast immediately. You may have already permanently damaged your set.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Wow, Thanks for the warning, I thought the picture was looking good with it high, but I don't want to ruin the set

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The CRTs are being overdriven at maximum contrast (white level). Besides wearing out the CRTs you are running an extreme risk of image burn-in. Also, get a calibration disc such as AVIA, Video Essentials, or the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up disc. I cannot emphasize this enough.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Funny, I reinstated the factory settings and contrast defaulted to 100%. I guess they are trying to wear out your set faster

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks