What's new

Whit Stillman fans can celebrate! "Barcelona" on DVD as SE!! (1 Viewer)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
DVD File reports:

Final specs have come in for more of Warner's April lineup of classics new, old, and animated. Starting with the new, the Barcelona release due on 4/2 is a full-on special edition, complete with audio commentary with writer and director Whit Stillman and co-stars Chris Eigeman and Taylor Nichols, deleted scenes and an alternate ending, a Mira Sorvino interview, and the trailer. Retail is $19.95.
This is one of my "most wanted" titles, and I would have been thrilled with a bare bones DVD. This sounds great!

Now if someone could get around to releasing Metropolitan, I'd be set.

Kevin Clemons

Stunt Coordinator
;) ;) ;)
Woman: You can't say Americans are not more violent than other people.
Fred: No.
Woman: All those people killed in shootings in America?
Fred: Oh, shootings, yes. But that doesn't mean Americans are more violent than other people. We're just better shots.
best news I have heard today. Now if only we could get the other Chris Eigeman masterpiece Kicking And Screaming on DVD I would be all set.
Kevin

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Excellent news.

What would be REALLY great is if this announcement was in order to coincide with a new Whit Stillman film.

What is the dude doing anyway?

Realistically, he should have a new project coming out in 2002 since his films have come in 4 year intervals.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Although I like The Last Days of Disco a lot, I consider Metropolitan and Barcelona definitive Stillman films. Haven't seen Barcelona since its theatrical release, so 4/2 can't come quickly enough. Hopefully the studio and Stillman's attention has now turned to Metropolitan.
I loved the last conversation in Barcelona about the wonders of marrying foreign women. So much so that I took it to heart and got one myself. Or perhaps it was my wife who applied that thinking when she married me. ;)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Oh, and immeasurable thanks to Mark Pfeiffer for the heads up. I've often thought of when I might see Metropolitan or Barcelona again. But it wasn't until I saw this thread that my love of those movies were instantly resuscitated.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Having never seen Metropolitan in widescreen, I'm dying for it to turn up on DVD. Metropolitan and Barcelona were two of the first films I bought on VHS because I didn't expect they'd be easy to find years later. The Last Days of Disco's DVD release was one of the things that encouraged me to get a DVD player since I knew there was no way it would be OAR on videotape.
Stillman is due for another film, although finding information on the guy is notoriously difficult. Nothing on upcomingmovies.com or IMDB. The only info I'd been able to dig up (and it is four years old) is that he is possibly working on an adventure film set during the American Revolution.
Edit: I just found something that says this fell through. According to this site ,
His long-planned screen bio of the American Revolution's Francis Marion, "the Swamp Fox", fell through, pre-empted by "The Patriot". Potential film projects include an adaptation of "Red Azalea", Anchee Min's chilling saga of China's Cultural Revolution.
His "novelization" of The Last Days of Disco is also worth a read for fans.
BTW, I think Trimark has the rights to Kicking and Screaming, so now you know who to bug.

Dan D.

Stunt Coordinator
Just saw this news on dvdpricesearch.com and I headed straight over here. Damn I am excited! Given that this is my favorite of the Stillman films, I'm really psyched they are doing it was a special edition. A word to Warner: Pleeeeease use the original artwork on the cover and not some Photoshop hack job.

Wow, with Tron: SE next week, E.T. in the spring and this, I'm losing reasons for having a laserdisc player. If they release Metropolitan at some point, I'll only be using it for the Star Wars Definitive Collection. Since Lucas probably won't release the original version on DVD, looks like I'll be hanging on to the LD for a long time.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I'm very excited as well -- Barcelona is my favorite Whit Stillman film. Who has the rights to Metropolitan?
It's true that Whit Stillman really takes his time between movies, but if the quality stays this high, who are we to complain.
Ted

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Count me in as pumped for this. I really like Whit's work and Barcelona is my favorite of the doomed bourgeousie in love trilogy. Hope Metropolitan makes it to DVD soon too.

- Guy

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
How shall I celebrate this news? Hmmmm... perhaps with a highball and some arch, ironic conversation?

(Probably better suited to Metropolis!)

Can't wait - very surprised that it'll be an SE!

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
My videotapes of Metropolitan and Barcelona have the New Line logo, so perhaps Warner Bros. has both of them. Barcelona's release at least bodes well that Metropolitan may see the light of day sooner rather than later.

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
I definately have this preorded. After a while I noticed that I don't have Last Days of Disco in my collection. (it must have slipped through somewhere) I went hunting for a good place to buy it and it seems to be pulled from the market. It's anamorphic and 5.1, so why was it pulled? I found a copy real cheap on half.com (plus I found a $5 off coupon) so I picked it up. I couldn't find any kind of announcement for a special edition of that movie here so I think I'm safe in buying it. Hows the video and audio on this disc?

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I seem to recall being pretty impressed with the audio and video on The Last Days of Disco DVD. This was a Polygram release. Since that company folded, that would be my guess as to why it has (if it has) been pulled.

A couple Best Buys around town used to have it. The Virgin Megastore at Easton might have a copy or two, if you really would have felt like shelling out full price for it.

Dan D.

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone picked this up? I was just lookng at a copy in the store yesterday and there was no mention of any of the extras listed above (director/actor commentary, Mira Sorvino interview, deleted scenes). What happened? It seemed like a fairly bare-bones edition from what was on the back cover.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I have the disc, but I haven't had time to watch it yet. For some strange reason, most of the special features aren't included in the list on the back cover. They are:

Cast and Crew

Commentary with Whit Stillman, Taylor Nichols, Chris Eigeman

Making of Documentary (about 5 min.)

Deleted scenes with commentary (looks like just a few)

Alternate ending with commentary

Trailer

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks