Whirring Noise....

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mark Zimmer, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

My computer is starting to make a loud whirring noise when it saves things. Am I about to have a hard disc catastrophe? Should I be screaming in terror? Taking it immediately to the shop?

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I don't think you should take it to the shop more than you should be backing things up in a hurry. If it is a HD failing, there's not a whole lot to do to fix it.

Back up and keep your backups current. If it fails, get a new drive.

3. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

GET OUT OF THE ROOM IT'S GOING TO BLOW!!!!

4. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Mark,

Sounds like a failing drive to me. As the others have suggested, back up your important data daily and let the drive gods in the sky take control of the life cycle of your PC's drive.

It does not sound like a fan's bearings going bad as you write it only happens when you save data, so from afar, it sounds like a failing drive to me.

Charles

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

It doesn't make the sound when reading from the disc, only when writing? Is it only when the Save dialog comes up? Are you sure it's not the CD/DVD drive spinning up to speed because there's a disc in it?

Too bad you can't attach an audio clip....

//Ken

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

No, it also whirs loudly when retrieving data. I don't think there's a CD in the drive, but I'll check it to make sure. Actually, unless I let it sit a while and do absolutely nothing, it pretty much whirs all the time. But I'll start religiously backing everything up to zip drive tonight.[​IMG]