Whipping my 65h80 into shape visually

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damien Montanile, Jun 10, 2001.

1. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

Ok, As some of you know I am now the proud owner of a 65h80 [​IMG]. Ive turned down the Contrast and what have you from the factory standard (almost blinded me it was so bright) and basically its now in the middle of getting its 100 hours of use in. Ive been reading alot on how to correctly do convergence, geometry, and what have you from the Keohi site. The thing of it is its really overwhelming because I dont even know where to start (which to do first which to do last and in what order to do everythign else). Anyone have any tips as to getting a killer picture and what order to start doing things?.
    I know it would just be simpler to get it ISF certified, but right now Im saving for a new house, and B...I dont want to drop money on something before I know anything about it. Id like to learn about convergence and geometry focussing and what have you first hand. Anyone can pay someone to do it for them.
    advthanksance,
    -D
    email: dmontanile@hotmail.com
    AIM: epiphanynj

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

At a minimum you will need to use Avia and/or Video Essentials to properly set the picture levels (50% contrast is still too high by the way), and you will need to perform a service level convergence (don't waste your time with the user level convergence).
    If you want to go into it fully I would suggest the following order (but opinions will likely vary):
    • Bring down the levels at least roughly
    • Disable SVM
    • Adjust electronic focus
    • Adjust optical focus
    • Center image and adjust overscan
    • Adjust geometry
    • Service convergence
    • Fine picture adjustment
    Your set will rock once this is done.
    ------------------
    jaymitchosky@hotmail.com
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

3. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

I have a Toshiba 40H80 which replaced a Sony 32" Wega. When I first turned it on, and turned contrast down to 35-40 or so, I was VERY unhappy with the picture. I already had Avia, and used it on my Sony with great results, but I figured that how much could color, brightness, contrast and tint help? Well, I waited 2 days or so and ran through Avia and it made a WORLD of a difference. As commonly heard on these forums, out of the box and adjusted with Avia, you can achieve 70-80% of these TV's potential.
    I disabled the SVM myself, but held off on the convergence, focus, geometry, etc. for a professional. I had Kevin Miller calibrate it last weekend, and I am once again amazed at the difference. Everything is MUCH sharper now, with more depth and color. The blacks are black.. none of that greenish black from before.
    Best thing to do is set all the Avia adjustments and read up on some of the sites about the tweaks.. if you're brave, you'll be able to perform everything but the grayscale.
    I waited 100 hours before scheduling my appointment with Kevin. This is basically to ensure that the TV isn't defective. Most electronic devices fail within the first few weeks, hence, the short warranties. Would be a shame to spend several hundred dollars on the calibration to have it fail afterwards!
    Enjoy your new Toshiba!

4. Damien Montanile

Hey Matt (Neighbor [​IMG] ) and Jay
    I did a really rough Avia session to just get the levels down and a little bit more in order than it is factory set. I popped in a few DVDs and it appears as though there are ARTIFACTS Galore, really lousy detail and just an overall bad (non calibrated) picture (jagged edges on most everything). It reminded me of watching VHS tapes without the tracking problems. Im hoping this is the norm for something like this (out of the box) for the time being and not any connection problems. Currently I have Component Video running from the DVD player to the Receiver (denon 3300) and from the receiver to the TV. I was reading somewhere that someone had gotten ALOT better picture with Composite cables. Of course my overactive imagination and worries have me worrying that there is a connectivity problem (Im at work so I cant check this out right now)....Was the picture as bad as I described above before anything was calibrated?
    I am just entering the world of HDTV and have only been engulfed 24 hours or so...so you have to bear with me here [​IMG]
    thanks for the replies I look forward to anythign else you guys have got for me.
    -D

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

6. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    Damien:
    -Turn your sharpness setting ALL THE WAY down.....to 0 !!!
    -Listen to Jay's advice about the cable connections.....run your component cables directly from the dvd to the tv.
    -Of course get yourself a copy of Video Essentials to tide over your calibration until you have it ISF'ed.
    Eric.
    ------------------
    Creative Audio Consultants, inc. Installs, calibrations, consultations.
    DVD List:http://www.dvdtracker.com/~EricK
    AOL IM screen name : EDKalet6

7. Damien Montanile

Thanks guys,
    Cables Im using are Monster3 ISF certified component Video.
    I ran the DVD player (Sony dvp360 for the time being until I get a Progscan) right into the TV...picture improved a bit. I started messing around a little more with the contrast and what have you right now the contrast are in the upper 30s practically bordering on 40. same with the Brightness.
    Disabling SVM on the newer models is supposedly ALOT easier than it used to be. When you start out with the picture properties (Contrast brightness color etc) They give you some default choices from the start (Sports, movies, standard etc). Supposedly when you customize your settings by starting with the movie default SVM is automatically turned off... Ive heard this from several people now. Anyone know any different?
    I guess its just new ownership jitters that I have and Im afraid of something going wrong. Anyways
    I did rough calibrations with Avia, which I already own. The picture looks alot better than last night but still nowhere near a calibrated picture. I am currently looking into properly performing some of the more sane calibrations myself and leaving the truly insane stuff to someone else.
    We'll see. If there is anything else anyone might suggest, Im all ears
    Thanks again
    I cant thank you guys enough truly.
    -Damien

8. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer