What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about…™ The Johnstown Flood - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Makes me wish I still lived in Mt. Kisco, a stone's throw from the Bedford Playhouse I used to frequent in my youth. Live to catch some of these premieres.

Best of luck to Mr. Harris for getting the support he deserves for this work.
Appreciated. Going the non-Kickstarter route does not help the nerves. As to the theater, I believe you’d approve. 37 foot screen with four-way maskings, covering 1.19 - 2.76, Dolby Atmos, 4k and a terrific cafe!

Mr. Forman (he’s a member here) attended the screening, coming all the way from Massachusetts!

We’re running at the LoC on 20 May.

Last edited:

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I went to the Library of Congress' Packard Campus yesterday to see one of the first screenings of the newly restored THE JOHNSTOWN FLOOD. To be precise, to see the images of the newly restored film - the presentation featured live organ accompaniment by Ben Model rather than the Mont Alto Orchestra score to be featured on a disc release.

The film is structured similarly to SAN FRANCISCO, where the majority of the film is melodrama until the ending when the special effect artists take control. (and yes, that is SAN FRANCISCO's Clark Gable very obviously at the far end of a bar in one scene.)

It was fun to see George O'Brien and Janet Gaynor together before they reunited for the classic SUNRISE. O'Brien plays a character astute enough to realize that heavy rains and excessive lumber could spell disaster, although oblivious to the fact that Janet Gaynor is in love with him. Instead, he is in love with sophisticated Florence Gilbert - yes, another "woman from the city". Gilbert isn't much more than the standard silent film heroine, while Gaynor as usual is fascinating to watch.

The visual effects were very impressive. Several shots were intricately choreographed combinations of miniature work and live action, with the stunt performers drowning on cue.

The film itself is highly entertaining, with several amusing supporting players to carry things along until the dam breaks. I look forward to adding this to my Blu-Ray collection.

As for the restored images, WOW. The Packard campus theatre has a GIANT screen and 99.99% of the images looked as if they could have been shot yesterday The exceptions were a couple of shots showing extensive nitrate decomposition. I appreciate those being left in to show how fragile those nitrate images are. (Ironically, just a few feet from the theatre is where the Library of Congress has hundreds of nitrate film vaults in an old Cold War bunker.)

The presentation began with a short silent film called THE WHIRLWIND starring Joe Rock, a comedian I hadn't heard of before. It also was a disaster-related film, and some of the witty intertitles made me laugh out loud. It was photographed by Irving G. Reis, who later moved to MGM's special effects department.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I went to the Library of Congress' Packard Campus yesterday to see one of the first screenings of the newly restored THE JOHNSTOWN FLOOD. To be precise, to see the images of the newly restored film - the presentation featured live organ accompaniment by Ben Model rather than the Mont Alto Orchestra score to be featured on a disc release.

The film is structured similarly to SAN FRANCISCO, where the majority of the film is melodrama until the ending when the special effect artists take control. (and yes, that is SAN FRANCISCO's Clark Gable very obviously at the far end of a bar in one scene.)

It was fun to see George O'Brien and Janet Gaynor together before they reunited for the classic SUNRISE. O'Brien plays a character astute enough to realize that heavy rains and excessive lumber could spell disaster, although oblivious to the fact that Janet Gaynor is in love with him. Instead, he is in love with sophisticated Florence Gilbert - yes, another "woman from the city". Gilbert isn't much more than the standard silent film heroine, while Gaynor as usual is fascinating to watch.

The visual effects were very impressive. Several shots were intricately choreographed combinations of miniature work and live action, with the stunt performers drowning on cue.

The film itself is highly entertaining, with several amusing supporting players to carry things along until the dam breaks. I look forward to adding this to my Blu-Ray collection.

As for the restored images, WOW. The Packard campus theatre has a GIANT screen and 99.99% of the images looked as if they could have been shot yesterday The exceptions were a couple of shots showing extensive nitrate decomposition. I appreciate those being left in to show how fragile those nitrate images are. (Ironically, just a few feet from the theatre is where the Library of Congress has hundreds of nitrate film vaults in an old Cold War bunker.)

The presentation began with a short silent film called THE WHIRLWIND starring Joe Rock, a comedian I hadn't heard of before. It also was a disaster-related film, and some of the witty intertitles made me laugh out loud. It was photographed by Irving G. Reis, who later moved to MGM's special effects department.
Thank you, Rich, pleased you enjoyed it - and understood why we left in a couple of short instances of decomp. For those who love the cinema — please support GEM, MOMA, UCLA, AMPAS and our Library of Congress.

As an aside, the Mont Alto score is on the 4k DCP. I believe the Packard Theater always works hard to offer a live accompaniment. We supplied Mr. Model with a proxy of the film for his preparation. He always gives a superb performance.

Last edited:

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The interview on Nitrateville is excellent; I just listened to it yesterday. Very much looking forward to this getting a disc release eventually.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The Johnstown Flood also works as a date film.

I know so, as this was part of my experience when attending the unveiling of this important restoration within a true theatrical venue known as The Bedford Playhouse; which, in and of itself, hosts an ambience of both the quaint and a comfortably refined classiness..

Call The Johnstown Flood the Titanic of its day. Disaster, the backdrop of history, and a pair of lovers caught up in its wake. It’s all there.

What’s not there, and I’m preaching to the choir, is a more expanded access to viewing and attending such silent films as The Johnstown Flood. Narrowed accesses to experiencing a silent film on the big screen is the modern day disaster, at hand; whilst silent films forever lost are now the true casualties in juxtaposition to the actual floods of Johnstown. Rescues and contributions remain crucial. And the race against the clock continues.

Speak to most friends of one’s thrill towards seeing this film - or any other silent restoration or classic in a theater - and we are often times met with indifference. And that’s a crying shame. Words are futile. So, maybe the solution is to say nothing to any given friend and just bring one or two blindly along to our next theatrical event, sit them down, and watch their reaction; as their current indifferences could only be based on having no visual imagination nor reference points from the fore.

As it was, The Johnstown Flood and The Bedford Playhouse marked my first time back in a true movie theater since March of 2020 and the onset of another historical American disaster where lives were lost. I am speaking of Covid, sheltering in place for two years, followed by this past year which saw an aggressive and stringent restoration of my own finances through a new employment.

My 3-year drought of having not seen a film theatrically was finally broken; not by a Dune, or a Bond, nor even a Maverick, but by a 1926 silent film.

On all fronts, this special, rare and isolated day of buying a ticket to both The Johnstown Flood and The Bedford Playhouse was one of the most satisfactory and celebratory road trips over state lines not known to me in eons.

Even as a silent film buff, I was reminded as to how I, too, had been sorely remiss in my theatrical attendances versus that of viewing at home. On no uncertain terms, even a silent film is best enjoyed and appreciated on the big screen; especially when one gets the additional benefit of hearing The Mont Alto Orchestra.

Indeed, silent films are a joy, so let’s get the word out by physically walking the uninitiated along on our next outing.

Meanwhile, and in regards to that RAH fellow on matters concerning his latest restoration efforts, I do have “A Few Words of my own to say About…The Johnstown Flood”.

Other Worldly.

Just grab a copy.

Extremely Highly Recommended

FOOTNOTE:
I send both my congratulations and my most humble of admirations towards Robert A. Harris, James Mockoski, Roundabout, The George Eastman House and to all whom worked attentively within these collective teams. Bravo!!

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Johnstown Flood also works as a date film.

I know so, as this was part of my experience when attending the unveiling of this important restoration within a true theatrical venue known as The Bedford Playhouse; which, in and of itself, hosts an ambience of both the quaint and a comfortable classiness..

Call The Johnstown Flood the Titanic of its day. Disaster, the backdrop of history, and a pair of lovers caught up in its wake. It’s all there.

What’s not there, and I’m preaching to the choir, is a more expanded access to viewing and attending such silent films as The Johnstown Flood. Narrowed accesses to experiencing a silent film on the big screen is the modern day disaster, at hand; whilst silent films forever lost are now the true casualties in juxtaposition to the actual floods of Johnstown. Rescues and contributions remain crucial. And the race against the clock continues.

Speak to most friends of one’s thrill towards seeing this film - or any other silent restoration or classic in a theater - and we are often times met with indifference. And that’s a crying shame. Words are futile. So, maybe the solution is to say nothing to any given friend and just bring one or two blindly along to our next theatrical event, sit them down, and watch their reaction; as their current indifferences could only be based on having no visual imagination nor reference points from the fore.

As it was, The Johnstown Flood and The Bedford Playhouse marked my first time back in a true movie theater since the onset of another historical American disaster where lives were lost. I am speaking of Covid, sheltering in place for two years and the restorations of my own finances through a past year of new employment.

On all fronts, this special, rare and isolated day was one of the most satisfactory road trips over state lines not known to me in eons.

Even as a silent film buff, I was reminded as to how I, too, had been sorely remiss in my theatrical attendances versus that of viewing at home. On no uncertain terms, even a silent film is best enjoyed and appreciated on the big screen. Indeed, silent films are a joy, so let’s get the word out by taking the uninitiated along on our next outing.

Meanwhile, and in regards to that RAH fellow on matters concerning his latest restoration efforts, I do have “A Few Words of my own to say About…The Johnstown Flood”.

Other Worldly.

Just grab a copy.

Extremely Highly Recommended

FOOTNOTE:
I send both my congratulations and my most humble of admirations towards Robert A. Harris, James Mockoski, Roundabout and The George Eastman House and to all whom worked within these collective teams. Bravo!!
Kind words always appreciated, Philip. A pleasure seeing you!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Looking forward to seeing this next month in the Castro Theatre at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival.
Look for Mr. Mockoski there, and say “howdy!”

The film will be run from a 4k DCP.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'd like one of the initial 1000 copies. How can I get one? Your efforts are always appreciated and need to be remunerated.
We’ll be announcing in the near future. Copies will be generally available.

And thank you. We’ll need and greatly appreciate the support.

We’d very much like to break even as we move on to the next exciting project. Doing these projects and saving silents without attaching ourselves to public funding is neither for the faint of heart nor spirit.

While there’s nothing wrong with the public funding (Kickstarter et al) route, I’ve always had a feeling that public funds should be returned in some way at break-even, which is why we’re attempting to self-fund.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
We’ll be announcing in the near future. Copies will be generally available.

And thank you. We’ll need and greatly appreciate the support.

We’d very much like to break even as we move on to the next exciting project. Doing these projects and saving silents without attaching ourselves to public funding is neither for the faint of heart nor spirit.

While there’s nothing wrong with the public funding (Kickstarter et al) route, I’ve always had a feeling that public funds should be returned in some way at break-even, which is why we’re attempting to self-fund.
Thank for the for information. I too would like to order a limited edition.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Running now at The Castro - SFSSF

1689296397996.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks