What's new

A Few Words About 'While we wait for A few words about...™ Spartacus -- in Blu-ray' (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Dr Griffin said:
I finally got to sit down and watch the entire movie last night after coming out of the shock of spot checking the transfer the day before. The first scene looks like you are on set! I watched this on a Pioneer Kuro Plasma (like the complainer mentioned earlier), and I think the difference is being educated about what you are seeing. The only thing I can imagine that brought complaints of softness would be maybe not understanding focus within a scene or one brief instance (that is hardly worth mentioning) of what looked like lesser element usage. I do not think it looks softer than expected, in fact quite the opposite. The percussive soundtrack is now even more fantastic. The bells ring out in space more now. Drums deeply fill the soundstage. Truly marvelous presentation visually and aurally. The TODD-AO film that was mentioned before (could it be the one released the same year? ;) ), maybe could look this good or even better if there had been some forward thinking at that studio.

Afraid the Todd-AO production is too far gone (although apparently, Mr. Barber, having personally wound through the elements doesn't seem to agree). Too much chemical damage, fade and flicker, at least to my untrained eye.

Could it look this good.

Probably.

But I'd put a five million dollar, 18 month price tag on any restoration of that film to this quality.

RAH

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Robert Harris said:
Afraid the Todd-AO production is too far gone (although apparently, Mr. Barber, having personally wound through the elements doesn't seem to agree). Too much chemical damage, fade and flicker, at least to my untrained eye.

Could it look this good.

Probably.

But I'd put a five million dollar, 18 month price tag on any restoration of that film to this quality.

RAH

Yes, now it may be too late, but if they had listened to you years ago...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dr Griffin said:
Sorry, The Alamo.
Okay, cool now back to Spartacus. :) Today, I'm watching it the bonus material from this release. I will be taking out some of the discs from previous disc releases and placing them in this BD case. I want to keep the audio commentaries and some of the bonus material from those previous disc releases.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Robert Crawford said:
Okay, cool now back to Spartacus. :) Today, I'm watching it the bonus material from this release. I will be taking out some of the discs from previous disc releases and placing them in this BD case. I want to keep the audio commentaries and some of the bonus material from those previous disc releases.

Previous commentary from the previous Bluray? Or from the Criterion SD release?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Richard V said:
Previous commentary from the previous Bluray? Or from the Criterion SD release?
The audio commentary from the Criterion DVD release and I want to look at the bonus material from the previously released BD. I'm definitely keeping the former, but need to take another look at the latter's bonus material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks