What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Raiders of the Lost Ark -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
JoshZ said:
Clearly, the proper course of action is to invent a new word that combines the best qualities of both phrases. Therefore, I humbly submit: "Digital Remastoration(TM)." I'm slapping a trademark on that right away. I expect reimbursement when studios start using it in their marketing materials, e.g. "This film has been digitally remastorated." :)
How about "This Film Has Been Restored. What's it to ya?"

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Moe Dickstein said:
LOL and what exactly was the previous strike?
Malcolm had offered me his impending copy of Crystal Skull at an appropriately knock-down price. To which I, of course, gave an appropriately knock-down answer.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
When a car has some scratches, a couple dents and needs some touch ups, it's called "body work". Maybe we can call this type of work "4K Digital Bodywork"? :)
Vincent

Albion

Agent
Real Name
Mark Davies
FoxyMulder said:
If you look at my profile you will see Raiders as one of my favourite films, i have seen it well over 120 times over the years, at the cinema and on various formats, i am glad it is being treated to the best possible care and attention, i also hope, going by what has been said that we are getting a blu ray that resembles what's on the OCN and not a third generation cinema print ala Jaws, that's a matter of preference but i'd prefer to see a bit more than what you get from the average cinema print.
Yes I am always a little surprised that the maximum available information on the OCN is not utilised.I hope to that we get a very broad sweep of the OCN,and not a selective extraction.
You mention Jaws was from a print .Did'nt they go back to the OCN for that. I thought so,but still quite a lot of info(left and right) was left off the Blu-ray release. Framed exactly the same way as previous DVD's.
If your going to provide a high quality Blu-ray release after either restoring or re-visiting the negative,may as give us everthing that's on it.
This comment recognises of course the feelings of many that this forum in general wants what was shown in cinemas,however I do think that giving us what's on the OCN in this and many other cases hardly compromises the directors ultimate vision.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Originally Posted by JoshZ View Post
Clearly, the proper course of action is to invent a new word that combines the best qualities of both phrases. Therefore, I humbly submit: "Digital Remastoration(TM)." I'm slapping a trademark on that right away. I expect reimbursement when studios start using it in their marketing materials, e.g. "This film has been digitally remastorated."
That's good thinking, Josh, and I think robert harris would approve.
But this could be improved on just a tad if we made it 'digitally remastorisated' .. those two extra letters do lend even more authority to the statement!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
All I know is that this is a pretty good year for Blu-Ray. Jaws, E.T., and Indy. Add to that the complete Bond movies, Hitchcock set, and Universal monsters and I am one happy guy. Broke, but happy.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
nealg said:
How about renaming the "heavy-lifting" type of film restoration instead? Full-Throttle Restoration or Genesis II Restoration! Now that's exciting! "Full" or "Complete Restoration" might be more accurate, but wouldn't have as much sizzle.
Right. Just like the movies. 'Full-Throttle Restoration: Genesis II: The Redemption'

lutefiskwhisker

Auditioning
Real Name
g e
Perhaps it can be referred to as a "Digital Recalibration" or "Digitally Remastered and Recalibrated"
or "Uber Bits Version" :D
ge

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
I vote for "Digitally Re-kajiggered"
1fa96c57_250px-Cat_lady.jpeg

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Robert - Thanks for the post and additional information about the release.
I am really looking forward to picking up this set!!!!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I heard that there may be a fifth Indy movie in the works. If so, I hope it is much better than Crystal Skull.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Paul Penna /t/323399/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-in-blu-ray#post_3968916
Maybe refurbishing? Renovation? Spring cleaning?

I like Renovation. It seems like a nice middle ground term between Restoration and Remastered.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Me too. Remastered implies untouched but freshly transferred. Renovation implies a new coat of paint and a bit of spit and polish. Restoration implies restored to its original condition.
I'd suggest "Full Gamut" Restoration for work done to the OCN (or producing a new safety negative) as opposed to "Digital Restoration" which of course would be restricted to files producing mastering material.

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
Vincent_P said:
When a car has some scratches, a couple dents and needs some touch ups, it's called "body work". Maybe we can call this type of work "4K Digital Bodywork"? :)
Vincent
Why not "Digitally Detailed for Blu-ray" if we're using car analogies? It's more like clean up and polishing than anything else...
For the marketing folks at Paramount, what about "New 4K scan" and "optimized for Blu-ray"?
I'll be waiting for the individual films but it's possible Amazon will have a sale and offer this over 50% off a few months after release, or a few weeks, like this week's FOREVER MARILYN sale but it's possible it's due to Fox.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If the final release on Blu ray resembles what was released at cinemas or what is on the OCN and nothing has been changed and they are using digital tools for the job then call it digitally restored, if they alter the look then call it digitally altered or a digital f*** up, they can also tell us the film scanning resolution and that would satisfy me.

Frankly it doesn't matter too much, it's all marketing bull, anyone remember "The look and sound of perfect" even when some of it was atrocious quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks