What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Yeah, I was going to mention this. I wrote this back on April 22:

Yeah, I was in too much of a hurry to get an order in, and didn't put in the discount code. I just messaged them to see if this can be corrected without cancelling and re-ordering.

I hadn't gotten any answer from them, until a message popped up Tuesday evening saying that they refunded the shipping cost!:thumbsup:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
My order

1i.jpg

kpjwest

Auditioning
Real Name
Kim
I read some of the earlier comments in this thread about 3-D. I have a memory of seeing Invaders from Mars in 3D at the American Film Institute theatre in the Kennedy Center, Washington, DC. I would infer that my memory of 3D must be incorrect and that I have it confused with something else. One of the things I remember is that in the 3D movie, the same stock color shots of cannons or howitzers firing were used multiple times, and the explanation given was that there was a very limited supply of such shots (one?) so they had to be repeated. Can anyone identify such a movie? in 3D or 2D. I haven't seen either Invaders from Mar or what I am confusing it with since the 1970s.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I feel the skepticism and can understand it. This, as exciting as it is, feels like a "Pig in a Polk" puchase. The Malese was eased by the reviews from TCM Fest, and the insuing excitment around this mega relrease!! There will be a collective sigh of relief once these BDs and 4k drop into the hands of all the faithful that dropped thier in thier chips, all in!!! May this release be as great as we all hope it to be!!! Can I get an Amen?!!!

AMEN!!!!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I read some of the earlier comments in this thread about 3-D. I have a memory of seeing Invaders from Mars in 3D at the American Film Institute theatre in the Kennedy Center, Washington, DC. I would infer that my memory of 3D must be incorrect and that I have it confused with something else. One of the things I remember is that in the 3D movie, the same stock color shots of cannons or howitzers firing were used multiple times, and the explanation given was that there was a very limited supply of such shots (one?) so they had to be repeated. Can anyone identify such a movie? in 3D or 2D. I haven't seen either Invaders from Mar or what I am confusing it with since the 1970s.

The best thing to do is watch the movie thru streaming (or buy the SD) and see if that jogs your memory.

Just remember, it was NEVER in 3D.

That doesn't mean that some company can 3D it now, like they did with the LITTLE RASCALS or any other movie.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob

Please see 3-D Myth #10:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

I think he is saying he saw a movie at the Kennedy Center, Washington, DC in the 1970s, it was like Invaders From Mars, might have been in 3D or 2D, had stock color shots of cannons or howitzers firing. Maybe it was War of The Worlds or The Day The World Stood Still?

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I think he is saying he saw a movie at the Kennedy Center, Washington, DC in the 1970s, it was like Invaders From Mars, might have been in 3D or 2D, had stock color shots of cannons or howitzers firing. Maybe it was War of The Worlds or The Day The World Stood Still?
That's exactly what he was saying. Thanks. I have no idea what movie he was thinking of, but he's pretty clear that he knows that his memories of it being Invaders from Mars were incorrect.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Email from Ignite includes:

We are also proud to announce a release date of September 26th for our 4K disc, with pre-orders beginning July 25th. For those who took advantage of our special pre-order in celebration of the TCM Classic Film Festival Showcase, your limited edition signed Jimmy Hunt poster is in the works!

Trailer:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Email from Ignite includes:

We are also proud to announce a release date of September 26th for our 4K disc, with pre-orders beginning July 25th. For those who took advantage of our special pre-order in celebration of the TCM Classic Film Festival Showcase, your limited edition signed Jimmy Hunt poster is in the works!

Trailer:

Did you notice how they teased us with a compairison frame but never shows it?!!!! The trailer is nice and some amzing scenes. I hope the discs are as nice!! I'm excited!!

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
There was a rumor that this film was converted to 3D n the late ‘70s, and taken to 70mm. Reviews note the track as being phenomenal.

That is true. The 3D prints came with multiple sound formats - Perspecta, 3.0 and 4.0 stereo and 6-track surround for 70mm. Most people liked the Perspecta track as the others sounded fake. There was a special print for Cinerama theatres in Ultra-Panavision 2.76:1.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Before it is once again stated, clearly and without question, that INVADERS FROM MARS was was not shot in 3-D, I'd like to toss my hat into the rumor mill. I remember hearing that the film's cinematographer once explained that everything was initially set-up for 3-D photography, but that they didn't get the equipment in time or something got fouled up at the last minute, so they shot the movie flat instead. Who knows what really happened. But it's hard to ignore the reality that every single frame composition for IFM seems self-consciously composed for 3-D (same thing with THEM!), so wouldn't a 3-D conversation in both cases make sense, since that would simply be fulfilling what was desired -- and designed -- by the filmmakers in the first place? (Menzies filmed THE MAZE in 3-D the same year, so clearly dimensional possibilities were on his mind). As alternate "what could have been" versions, they'd be fascinating to watch. In terms of that 70mm 3D incarnation of INVADERS with Perspecta sound... wow. Blown-up and shown in Cinerama theaters? Did anyone on this thread actually see this unique theatrical presentation?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Let's get the fact straight, shall we? Invaders from Mars was released in three formats - D, 1D and 2D. I had an IB Kodachrome Eastman color, Warnercolor print of the D version. It was fantastic in D. The 1D wasn't a big step up from the D, but the 2D in 4, 6, and 8K should be enough D for everyone.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Everyone accepts the fact that INVADERS FROM MARS was not released in 3-D, but, like THEM!, was it compositionally designed for 3-D photography that never happened, as all the visual evidence indicates? If so, newly-made 3D conversations would be a wonderful way to fulfill the filmmaker's original creative intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks