What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
This is a generally encouraging review...thank you. Question: what version were you seeing? What ending does it have, and are the "extra" scenes (i.e. the lengthy and talky sequence in the observatory)? Thanks for any enlightenment.
It was the original ending with the saucer landing repeating after the father leaves the bedroom. As for the talk in the observatory, it was long and detailed. I'm not familiar with any cuts that may have been missing. They could cut several minutes of "tanks" and make it a better movie. Sayles said these scenes we're added by the producer to make the running time hit the lower limit of qualifying as feature length, so I don't think they would cut anything from the informative science lecture.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
This is a generally encouraging review...thank you. Question: what version were you seeing? What ending does it have, and are the "extra" scenes (i.e. the lengthy and talky sequence in the observatory)? Thanks for any enlightenment.
From what I've been told, you get the release version of the film - that's the normal ending. The other ending is included in the extras as are, I'm sure, the other scenes from that version, but that version was never shown in the US theatrically.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
I know it was just fan-friendly speculation, which is fine. But regardless of why prolonged stock footage of tanks was utilized, there should never, ever be any thought of trimming these shots, and that also goes for the seemingly endless "mutants running through tunnels" shots, flopped or otherwise. Apart from obvious moral reasons to leave a finished creative work alone, the magnificent, non-stop music score of INVADERS FROM MARS would be compromised... I don't think any one wants that. What the restorers have done seems absolutely perfect, and including the extra British release footage as a supplement was also the smart way to go.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Too late! The deed is done...
Me, too. I didn't realize that it was going to have a standard release as well. Even if everything they say is technically correct, I'm definitely not happy with how obfuscating the company is in regards to the specifics of the release. Just don't think I'm the bad guy flipper for probably selling off the poster later when I didn't realize I was going to have options. It's also incredibly disappointing to see that there won't be a combo available when it's basically standard. When combined with the price point, the whole thing has me squinting like dubious Fry.

200.gif

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's literally the second paragraph of the description.

Only 1,000 units available for this limited pre-order special! The release will be available for pre-order worldwide this summer.
Meaning: This is a "limited" pre-order "special" of 1000 units with the special poster. A general release will be available for pre-order later this summer. If you want the poster, order now. If you don't care about the poster, wait for the later release.

• In UHD, extra HDR treatment
Meaning: On the 4K disc (i.e., the disc "in UHD"), there will be HDR. Anyone familiar with the specs of 4K/BLU knows there is no HDR on a blu ray disc.

Number of Discs:1
Meaning: There is only "1" disc in whatever format package you choose to order. There is no combo pack, or the number of discs would say "2".

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
For those who decided to wait, being prudent and grown-up about the whole thing... can't argue with that. You're certainly on solid ground from a logical perspective, assuming there aren't any cute surprises for you up ahead. Still, what's the old expression, "with some things, it's best to go with your heart, rather than your head"? This was one of those cases for a great many of us, and I have to say, those who wound up taking the plunge are my kind of film buffs. We knew we were being manipulated, we knew we were acting emotionally and reflexively, but we simply weren't taking any chances with INVADERS FROM MARS. The second it became available, we had to have it. That says a lot about our instinctive, childlike (maybe even a little childISH) passion for those special works of art that inspired true love and lifetime devotion. $130 later, I'm glad I didn't wait.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
For those who decided to wait, being prudent and grown-up about the whole thing... can't argue with that. You're certainly on solid ground from a logical perspective, assuming there aren't any cute surprises for you up ahead. Still, what's the old expression, "with some things, it's best to go with your heart, rather than your head"? This was one of those cases for a great many of us, and I have to say, those who wound up taking the plunge are my kind of film buffs. We knew we were being manipulated, we knew we were acting emotionally and reflexively, but we simply weren't taking any chances with INVADERS FROM MARS. The second it became available, we had to have it. That says a lot about our instinctive, childlike (maybe even a little childISH) passion for those special works of art that inspired true love and lifetime devotion. $130 later, I'm glad I didn't wait.
Amen Brother!! I even went back for the 4K, after going for 2 BD editions, LOL!!! Sometimes you just gotta Jump on it!!! The other editions may or may not be as bonus filled as these will be. For this title I have been after for 50 years for a HD or even UHD version to come my way....I ain't waiting, life's too short to qibble!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Here's an update from an email that I got and it tags all of the family in the UK and Europe -
This special pre-order is limited to US customers only. For everyone else, you’ll be able to place your (pre-)orders in the summer, ahead of the official worldwide release this fall. For our friends in the UK -- you can order your copy from our partner Arrow Video, who will be releasing the same edition.

PS: we are aware of questions regarding shipping costs. We will address this in the week ahead.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
The moment I received an email from them, I ordered the BD. Order number #1125…I hope I get it when it becomes available and not later since my order was over 1000.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I feel the skepticism and can understand it. This, as exciting as it is, feels like a "Pig in a Polk" puchase. The Malese was eased by the reviews from TCM Fest, and the insuing excitment around this mega relrease!! There will be a collective sigh of relief once these BDs and 4k drop into the hands of all the faithful that dropped thier in thier chips, all in!!! May this release be as great as we all hope it to be!!! Can I get an Amen?!!!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I feel the skepticism and can understand it. This, as exciting as it is, feels like a "Pig in a Polk" puchase. The Malese was eased by the reviews from TCM Fest, and the insuing excitment around this mega relrease!! There will be a collective sigh of relief once these BDs and 4k drop into the hands of all the faithful that dropped thier in thier chips, all in!!! May this release be as great as we all hope it to be!!! Can I get an Amen?!!!
For whatever it may mean, I’ve seen footage, and it’s glorious. Some shots are print derived, but overall this is a meticulously produced, beautifully rendered restoration, based upon surviving available film elements.

I’ve never known Mr. MacQueen to do less.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
For whatever it may mean, I’ve seen footage, and it’s glorious. Some shots are print derived, but overall this is a meticulously produced, beautifully rendered restoration, based upon surviving available film elements.

I’ve never known Mr. MacQueen to do less.
Thanks Robert, I know that it is an amazingly accomplished project. And really it's the reassurences from you and others that were at the TCM Festival that prompted me to pre-order my copies.
If this was coming thru Criterion or Kino, companies I often buy thru, I'm sure there would be much less resistence.
Because it's coming from Iginte, a company that I for one have not interacted with and the price point for the preorders, for me, was the point of contention. I hope for the best...my anxiety is replaced with childhood excitment!! I am, so glad to see and hear the love for this long abandoned film...truly the gateway film for anyone attracted to 50s Atomic Sc-Fi!!!

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
So, to make a short story long (as my father always said), for those who have expressed some doubts about Ignite as a newer company:

I put my order in right after their listing went live, and I screwed it up since I didn't notice that the free shipping wasn't automatic at that point, and you had to enter a code. So I got $22 tacked onto my order, making the whole purchase a really major indulgence. There was no way to cancel the order and place a new one, and all of my attempts to contact them via email got bounced back -- both replying to the order email, and using the one that came up with the "contact us" on their website (which was the same address). I just let it go and chalked it up to my own stupidity (got enough stress in my life right now, thank you very much). But someone must have caught it anyway, because I just got an email weeks later with a $22 refund -- without me being able to ask them for it. So, props to them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks